Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offsite USB disks replication

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

I think this subject has already been covered some times, but it's quite difficult to understand all implications in such a project. I will try to explain my questions as clearly as possible...

a) What we want to do

• There are many backups going on in our BackupExec 2010 R2.
  • We want the latest of each full backup and all following incrementals to be replicated once a week on USB disk for offsite backups.
  • Each week the USB disk will be rotated

b) Information that I found :

How to replicate : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

c) Questions

But what I don't understand is :

• be sure to have a valid full and supplementary incremental on the disks
  • how to configure the USB disks ?
  • organize the rotation ?
  • any other hint ?

After some tries I have even more questions :

1. Duplication of backups seems to be only possible two ways : duplicate all jobs to a currently available OR duplicate specific backups done in the past. Is that right ?
  2. If yes, then should I create a new destination with what should be present on USB disk and then create a 2nd duplicate job ?

Any help (even partial) would be greatly appreciated... :)

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you want to restore your data back, you require most recent full backup and all subsequent incremental backups.

Rotation you have to plan according to your USB disk capacity,No of USB disks you have and backup's size.

For the backups, which are already completed you can use a duplicate job for duplicating existing backupsets. Select the source backup set and select the destination as RB2D folder created on the USB disks.

For the backups which are scheduled to run you can create a duplicate job to duplicate the backup sets immediately after the completion of backup job. But this will be difficult as you will be having too many jobs to duplicate. So, i suggest you to create a policy with templates for backups and duplicates. Create a template rule as  Duplicate all backup sets that were created by <Backup Template> using <Duplicate Template> as scheduled.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Magix,

If the above post answered your concern, please close the discussion by marking it as solution.

Thanks.

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks a lot for your answers, I think with policies I will be able to do it.

But I will try first, especially with your hint about policies and let you know if I succeede or if I have more questions :)

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi magix,

Any updates here?

Can you please close the discussion by marking solution?

Regards..