cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offsite backup storage Options in BE 2014 for DR plan

Syed_Mazhar
Level 3

Hi Guys,

I am new to BE 2014 with basic understanding. I am currenlty looking to devise our DR plan and wondering if you could give your suggestions.

We are backing up 2 x VMWare Esxi  Hosts that are running 10  x Guest VMs. Currently BE 2014 is backing up vCenter Locally without any offsiste backups. So for our DR plan, I am thinking to purchase a NAS  or use an exsisting  DL 360 G6 HP server to place in the a data center and then can push all the backup data offsite.

1. Is that possible? 

2. How can I use this  Synology NAS  to configure with BE 2014 for Offsite Data storage ?

Network / Transport Protocol TCP/IP, PPTP, PPPoE, iSCSI, LPR/LPD, ARP, SMTP, FTP, DHCP, POP3, IMAP

3. How can I create a data store in BE 2014 using an Offsite Storage Unit? 

Any explaination or link to step-by-step tutiorial, for  backing up VMware Esxi 5.x  Hosts and Guets, locallay and offsite (DR) would be highly appriciated.

Many Thanks in Advance. 

Syed Mazhar

3 REPLIES 3

Syed_Mazhar
Level 3

The NAS has following features 

Features Firewall protection, VPN support, LDAP support, Syslog support, E-mail alert, print server, IPv6 support, MySQL server, web server, backup server, file sharing, Access Control List (ACL) support, SSH support, iTunes server, DHCP server, Samba support, FTP server, SSL acceleration, SMS alert, BitTorrent Client, e-mail server, UPnP Media Server, bandwidth control, surveillance station, DLNA Media Server, eMule client

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i think its not a good solution for DR , BE need  its Database , Catalogs , SDR files .... to recover data from a backup Storage.

you can configure it as a network share storage (CIFS - SMB) and add a stage to youre backup jobs to duplicate each backup to NAS Device.

Fergieman
Level 4

I have 2 BE appliances and I dduplicate date between then. However you need to run a CASO and have your appliances management by the CASO to allow for duplicating backup sets. My CASO is just a vm with BE2012 will the licenses. My CASO holds the db and catalogs.