cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh Please Help - Trial - Not good so far - I cannot get this tape drive to show in Backup Exec

AMEULI
Level 3
I have been through so many articles it is embarrasing - I'm hard headed so coming here was my last step.  I'm sure it should have been one of my first.  I would really like to use this product and have plans to implement much with it.  So far I cannot even get it to use a single tape drive on a single server.

Please help.

I have attempted to keep this simple by attaching screen shots and rather telling you all the lost paths I have taken please

I hope you dont mind me giving the link to the errors.  It was the quickest way I could post them - please dont mind the family photo album either... the more time I spend with this though, the more time im away ;)

Some of the errors:

The device instance does not exist in the hardware tree

Some SCSI hardware not matched (Shows 2 devices?!)

The data is invalid

10 REPLIES 10

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Check the System Event log.   Are you getting any event id's 5,7,9,11, or 15?  If you are there could be a problem with the hardware.  You could also delete the device in Backup Exec.  Run the device configuration wizard and uninstall the device.  Then turn off the hardware and shutdown the server.  Bring the drive online first, once it has booted then start your server.  Reinstall the drivers for the device and reboot the server one more time and you should be up and running. 

AMEULI
Level 3
I've just check the event log hoping to have some of those events - but to my surpise there are non.  The tapd drive is internal and turns right as I power on the server.  Also seems to be ready a good bit before the OS boots.

Also, the tapde drive does show in the device manager (has all this time) but just not in symantec backupexec.

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Please apply the following driver update and reboot the server. 

AMEULI
Level 3
Im running 11D and this patch did not work.  Is there a driver update patch for 11D?

AMEULI
Level 3
Amazingly I think service pack 3 has fixed this.  I will have to reboot and test.  

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Thank you for the update.   I apologize for sending you the incorrect drivers.  The message was posted in the Backup Exec for Windows Servers 12 forum,  I have since moved it to the 11d forum under the same heading.  When you updated to Service Pack 3 it should have installed the latest drivers as well.  Let me know if you are still having trouble after the reboot. 

AMEULI
Level 3
Spoke too soon.  It shows up now in symantec backupexec - which is new - but will not show ready and I cannot complete a successful inventory.

Also, i wonder if it is the tape drive.  It always spits out a tape..?!?!?!  Is this a tape drive issue?

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Have you checked the system event logs for event id's 5,7,9,11,15? 

rwright142
Level 3

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I am getting almost the same thing except it is not showing up in Backup Exec.

I am getting system event 15:

RSM cannot manage library Tape0. The database is corrupt.

If you are getting this too then what is causing this and how to fix it? NTBackup works fine with the same drive and tape.

Message Edited by rwright142 on 07-23-2008 07:49 PM

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Stop and Disable the Removable Storage Service in Windows services.  This will stop the event id 15 and after a reboot should allow Backup Exec to be able to use the tape device.  The reason NTBackup works fine is because NTBackup requires that Removable Storage be enabled to be able to control the device.