cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One or more virtual disks contain volumes that do not support Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)

stephenf33
Not applicable

Hi

I am currently trying to use Backup Exec 2012 SP3 to backup a virtual machine with Windows Server 2012 on a VM server. We backup the Virtual machine VMDK fine but we cannot do a GRT restore. We have the windows agent installed and the permissions look fine but we still get the following error every time. V-79-57344-38725 - One or more virtual disks contain volumes that do not support Granular Recovery Technology (GRT). Granular restores cannot be performed for these volumes.

We have several other Virtual machines that run on the same vm server and these work fine but these are Server 2003/2008

Any help would be greatly appreciated

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Please check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH203807

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There are certain limitations for GRT restores of Server 2012 VM.  See this document

GRT with VM and Windows Server 2012

Srivishnu
Level 4

Hi Stephen,

For windows server 2012 if the volume has Refs file system or its a deduplication volume then GRT is not supported.

And if the windows server 2012 is installed on a hyper-v with .vhdx virtual harddisk size greater than 2TB in size even then GRT will not work.

Regards,

Srivishnu.K

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why are you repeating what is stated in the document that I have referenced earlier?

Srivishnu
Level 4

Hi Pkh,

I don't know what your document has referenced,i just posted what i knew.even i had same issue earlier and then got to know the limitations i updated the same here.any problem?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

By repeating information that was posted earlier, you are not contributing to the discussion, but cluttering up the discussion.  If everybody repeats everything then the user would have to waste his time sorting out the relevant information.  Do read the previous posts properly, including any references, before posting.

Srivishnu
Level 4

Hi pkh,

but do you think everyone has time to go through all the documents or article posted we are here to share what we know not to debate.I don't mind your document or my post helping the user this is a forum to share knowledge not to blame on others why you are posting contents in the document i referenced there is nothing wrong learning one thing twice.lets act mature and share what we know instead useless debates that is not going to help anyone.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Who is debating with you? Just don't repeating things which are posted earlier