cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only full backups with dedup

Wobbler_70
Level 2

I'm about to backup a couple of servers over a wan link just using fullbackup jobs and client-side depuplication , no incremental just full backups.

pros and cons ?

Patrik

6 REPLIES 6

ohamzaoui1
Level 3

Hi, 

Be sure to restart services on the client and on the media server

ohamzaoui1
Level 3

Try do a backup without the client source dedup, but on the destination.

Try with a small folder.

Thanks,

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

As suggested, ensure client side is selected for the backup to dedupe of this remote server.

This will prompt for a BE services restart on the Backup Exec Server, so restart them.

Test a client side backup of a small folder. After this job completes, open the job log and confirm under the device and media section, device hostname is

the remote server that you would be backing up. This confirms, that client side did work.

In this backup job, go to setting of the job and ensure to run verify as a seperate Job else it will verify across the wire.

If you run into any Issue please check https://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/deduplication-option-backup-exec   ( read write error section)

Wobbler_70
Level 2

Thank you for your comments.

But would it be ok to just use full backups with client-side dedup as backup stategy and not the old way with weekly fulls , monthly fulls and incremental in between?

Or is it not the way to go ?

Patrik

RobinMau
Level 3

I'd say not really the way to go.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think this boils down to performance in your environment

In theory client side dedup will only transfer the changed 'chunks' over the network even though you ran a full. So the data transfer is incremental in nature even though the result is a full.

So really it would boil down to;

Is the processing for what chunks have changed faster or slower then the processing for what files have changed incrementally (followed by processing the chunks just for those changed files.) As this will change from environment to environment I'd suggest you try a test against one backup job running for a weeks worth a full backups and then compare with 1 weekly full and the rest of the week as incrementals.

C.