cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimized Duplication restore from GRT

DrHolmes
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

From all I have read this last step may work.

The ability to restore a file from a vmware agent vmdk GRT full backup that has been backed up to a Symantec De-duplicated folder then incrementally transferred to the DR site using optimised duplication to a De-duplicated folder in DR.

I have found this reference

This sections was from the Appliance option details

However, the Optimized Deduplication (downstream) copy of the backup is not in traditional GRT format. The backup set itself is GRT-enabled. In order to perform a GRT recovery from an Optimized Deduplication copy of a GRT backup, the Optimized Deduplication copy must be staged to a disk location before recovery of individual items can take place. Each copy of data, whether onsite or offsite, can have different retention periods.

I would like to have faith in the solution before asking the customer for two de-duplication licenses.

Can any one confirm that they have succeeded in restoring a file from the DR site data without needing the restore the whole VMDK file to a virtual machine.

One of the Virtual machines has a 1TB drive and is still growing.  I do not want to restore 1TB for a 20kb file.

2 REPLIES 2

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

Answer to your question would be it would be staging the VMDK while doing restore so in that case staging won't be as like it does for tape It does staging for creating a virtual directory structure,since it is on dedupe it will need staging
on b2d it only mounts the vmdk to get the files,coz there is no way we can get the data without mounting the VMDK file first

Thank You

teiva-boy
Level 6

Sammy has it correct.  Once the backup set is duplicated to the remote media server, and you need to perform a restore, the data is staged to disk (just a temp folder) and does not have to be a B2D location.

From there BE will initiate the restore to your ultimate target.  Since it's a GRT restore of a VMDK, it'll probably be a redirected restore of a file or database.  Thus you'll need a RAWS installed on the target server more than likely.