cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimized deduplication (D2D2T)

Grafs
Level 3

I have a Backup Exec 2014  setup with a CASO and 1 MMS on different sites connected via VPN tunnel.

The CASO also has a Robotic Tape library attached with SAS.

I I’m trying to achieve optimized deduplication to another site and then to tape.

I want to run a job like this: Backup to deduplication store on MMS> Duplicate to deduplication store on CASO  > duplicate to tape on CASO.

If I create the job on the CASO and choose the CASO as the BE server it's possible. (The other way around according to support is not possible unless the tape drive is attached as SAN shared)

But, the performance indicate the data is going to through the CASO and then to the MMS deduplication store instead of directly from client to deduplication store.

The other way I tried was creating the job on the MMS: Backup to deduplication storage on MMS> Duplicate to CASO deduplication storage. But, I can’t seem to get on tape with a separate template like in 2010. (Duplicate latest to tape)

I read the documentation and whitepapers for Optimized deduplication, but they don’t really explain the limitation’s so keep bumping  into issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Setup the job defintion as follows:
1) For the backup stage, under Storage, set it to "Use any backup exec server" and target the MMS's DeDupe folder.
2) For the first duplicate stage, set it to use the CASO's DeDupe folder
3) For the second duplicate stage, set it to use the CASO's tape drive.
The key part is to choose "Use any backup exec server" for the first stage.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6

Setup the job defintion as follows:
1) For the backup stage, under Storage, set it to "Use any backup exec server" and target the MMS's DeDupe folder.
2) For the first duplicate stage, set it to use the CASO's DeDupe folder
3) For the second duplicate stage, set it to use the CASO's tape drive.
The key part is to choose "Use any backup exec server" for the first stage.

Grafs
Level 3

I did as you described.

The job gets executed on the CASO and the speed is incredibly slow ~ 30/MB – Seems like it rounding the CASO before going to the MMS dedup.

Any other suggestions ?

VJware
Level 6

If client side dedupe is enabled, do restart the BE services for the changes to take effect.

Grafs
Level 3

Seems to be working after restart - Will post back.

Edit: It works! The job starts on CASO and splits up- The first two stages are executed on the MMS and last duplicate to tape stage CASO.

Thanks!

Grafs
Level 3

Is that on the job itself you mean?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you are still working your problem why did you may this discussion as solved?

Grafs
Level 3

The issue is solved with the solution marked as answer - I have not done anything with client dedup so it's just for for future reference.

Grafs
Level 3

Another note: Private Cloud must be enabled on CASO otherwise jobs won't be delegated to the MMS closest to the server.

Nerd53
Not applicable

Was the restart sufficient or did you need other steps to get the dedup to start?