cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option/Add-on/License mess ?? Help!!

KennRJ
Not applicable

I just inherited a backup and restore project from another network team and I’m trying to sort out the Backup Exec products that were purchased and was hoping someone might be able to help me identify which of these needs to be installed together and separately.

Obviously the main Backup Exec software goes on one server and then the SQL agent can be installed by itself on another to backup the SQL system. However, we also have Windows System agents and then System Recovery and Active Directory options.

So my questions would be:

1. If I install System Recovery on a server, does it still need an Agent installed?
  2. If I install Active Directory on the BDC, does it also need an Agent installed?
  3. Will the SQL agent backup the entire server its installed on or will it need an Agent installed on it along with the SQL option?
  4. Will the main Backup Exec program backup the server its installed on without any additional Agents?
  5. We have one Desktop that needs backed up, will the main Backup Exec software backup one desktop across the network or will that desktop PC need an agent as well ?

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated and go a long way towards helping me getting a handle on this orphaned project I was stuck with. Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

1)  BESR and BE are separate products.  SR is designed to restore complete systems to dis-similar hardware  BE is designed for file backup and restore, but can be used to recover systems to like hardware

2)  To use any of BackupExec's agents on a machine other than the media server, you need to have a RemoteAgent on that other Machine.  AFAIK, all agents include a RAWS so you don't have to purchase one separately

3)  The SQL "Agent" will enable the media server to backup SQL databases without needing to shut down the SQLServer service - to do "hot " backups, As mentioned above, you will need a RAWS on the remote SQL server as well

4)  Yes.  It won't backup the BEDB hot, but does do a database dump every night (at 0400 by default) so you can backup the BEDB.BAK file to cover that

5)  You will need a RAWS installed on the Desktop.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

All the licenses you have are instlled on the Media server . that includes you base license , license for the angents if you have one like SQL , AD agent etc. On the remote servers which you want to protect you just need to install the remote agent .

Backup Exec Does file level backup ... Backup exec System recovery take a Block or secotor level backup. The basic difference is  BESR is recovery software...BE is restore software

BackupExec must be restored to the same hardware it was backed up from (or very nearly so.  it is possible to restore to different hardware, but you need to jump through some major hoops)

BESR is designed to to do a Bare Metal restore to any hardware supported by the OS

Here are answers to your questions

1. If I install System Recovery on a server, does it still need an Agent installed? no you dont

2. If I install Active Directory on the BDC, does it also need an Agent installed? you need 1 license per domain controller . Each domain controller need to have a remote agent installed . Incase if you have BAckup exec installed on the domain controller you dont need to install remote agent as its already there by default on the media server . you just need the Active directory agent license installed (this will allow granular restore .)

3.Will the SQL agent backup the entire server its installed on or will it need an Agent installed on it along with the SQL option? on the Sql server you just install a remote agent and you can backup the evrything on the server i.e all the files ,system state , and SQl data.

4. Will the main Backup Exec program backup the server its installed on without any additional Agents?yes it can backup itself .

5. We have one Desktop that needs backed up, will the main Backup Exec software backup one desktop across the network or will that desktop PC need an agent as well ?you can backup workstation without any extra remote agent license  execpt desktop running Windows vista and window 7 as they need a remote agent license . And all the server you want to backup need to have a remote agent installed.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

1)  BESR and BE are separate products.  SR is designed to restore complete systems to dis-similar hardware  BE is designed for file backup and restore, but can be used to recover systems to like hardware

2)  To use any of BackupExec's agents on a machine other than the media server, you need to have a RemoteAgent on that other Machine.  AFAIK, all agents include a RAWS so you don't have to purchase one separately

3)  The SQL "Agent" will enable the media server to backup SQL databases without needing to shut down the SQLServer service - to do "hot " backups, As mentioned above, you will need a RAWS on the remote SQL server as well

4)  Yes.  It won't backup the BEDB hot, but does do a database dump every night (at 0400 by default) so you can backup the BEDB.BAK file to cover that

5)  You will need a RAWS installed on the Desktop.

g_toledo
Level 3

Hi i bought a Dell RD1000 with bundled Symantec backup quick start.  I can't backup a remote computer although i already installed remote agent.

My supplier told me that i need to buy a license for RAWS in order to backup my remote servers.  I have 6 remote servers .  How many RAWS license should i buy.

REgards,

Gilbert

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Please start  a new thread for this question, as it doesn't directly relate to this one