cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options not available after trial period expired

Joben
Level 2

Hi!

I have run BE 2012 Small Busienss Edition as a trial installation for a period. The trial period is now over, so I run the installation (with SP1a, recently downloaded from portal) and enter serial number for the correct product (retrieved from Licensing portal). It verifies ok, and all looks good.

However, when I proceed to choose the install options, I cannot choose "Agent for Applications and Databases". Above this sections it says "OPTIONS not available for trial". Well, yes, but this is not a trial anymore, the serial number is ok...

I have tried to uninstall all, clean up directories, tried different serial numbers.

I simply cannot get the serial number to give me this option that I need to backup AD and Exchange.

A little history of this installation: On this SBS 2003 server, we have run BE for a long time, I think since 8.5. Now we had BE 2010, but the upgrade did not work well, so I uninstalled and did a fresh install of BE 2012. If I then used the serial numbers, Exchange backup failed. So I uninstalled and reinstalled in trial mode. This was the only way to get the AD and Exchange drivers to work, while waiting for some hotfix or service pack. Now the service  pack is here, but I still cannot get the installation to work as expected.

Reading about all the issues here, I will wait before I upgrade my other customers installations, if at all.

So, my question, how can I get BE to accept my serial number and let me choose the "Agent for Applications and Databases"?

Thanks,

Joakim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

After the Trial period is over and then you try to put the SBE license key it will automatically  choose the Agent and Database option in the background. I am sure what you are getting is as shown in the screenshot below. This is normal. Go ahead with your installation.

After the installation is completed go to Backup Exec button >> Installation and Licensing >> License Information and you will see that your Exchange, SQL and other database licenses are all showing as Installed (in green).

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that the licence is built into the base SBE licence. so when you choose Agent for Applications and Databases, these are extra licences which are not permitted with the SBE licence.

Try backing up Exchange by itself.  If it is successfull and there is no warning messages about the lack of licence, then you are o.k.

You can backup AD by just backing up the DC's system state. 

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

After the Trial period is over and then you try to put the SBE license key it will automatically  choose the Agent and Database option in the background. I am sure what you are getting is as shown in the screenshot below. This is normal. Go ahead with your installation.

After the installation is completed go to Backup Exec button >> Installation and Licensing >> License Information and you will see that your Exchange, SQL and other database licenses are all showing as Installed (in green).

Thanks,

-Sush...

Joben
Level 2

Hi!

Thanks for pointing out this. I did proceed with the installation, because I wanted to get at least a file backup. I was surprised to see that the backup of Exchange and Active Directory worked too.

I now understand why.

However, I must say that I am not at all pleased with this installation. And this is a huge understatement...

You write "automatically choose" and "in the background". Well, fine, but how about writing something about this in the installation dialogue?? Instead of just graying out the option?? Maybe put a tick mark at this option? Or simply write in the description that this is included in the SBE core installation and should not be selected?

Especially as this functionality did not work in the release edition, and this is why I had to install in trial mode in the first place. As stated in your tech article TECH184281. I spent a lot of unnecessary hours on this, and I see in the forums that I am not the only one...

Well, customer is happy, all fine, case closed.

Thanks,

Joakim

Joben
Level 2

Hi,

Yes, it turned out to be the case, these licenses are included in SBE and the option is silently installed. See my comments below.

Thanks,

Joakim