Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB on Virtual Machine ( Windows Server 2003) - Exec 2012

Hisham_Abd_EL_H
Level 3
Partner

Dear Support,

Kindly i installed backup Exec 2012 on WIndows Server 2008 and add several servers, and add Server 2008 contain Hyper-V Role.
when i added this machine, it appear in the Backup Exec and Appear Hyper V contain Virtual Machine ( Windows Server 2003 )
but i didn't find any data inside it.

Note that we had oracle DB inside this virtual Machine and we want to backup this DB, Would you please advise how to solve this issue

Best Regards,

Hisham Abd EL Hamied

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Hi Hisham Abd EL Hamied,

Is this going to a Deduplication Store? If it is unfortunately it isnt supported.  reference from BE 2012 Admin Guide pg 31 'A Windows 2003 server protecting a Hyper-V guest to a Deduplication Store is not supported'

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. You have to add this VM to the BE console as if it is a physical machine. 2. After adding this server, you can then backup the Oracle database. You need to purchase and install an Agent for Applications and Databases licence to backup the Oracle database

Hisham_Abd_EL_H
Level 3
Partner

@Imosla, Please give me more information about Deduplication store. 
@ PKH, we purchase license for applications and databases, but we still cant find any file inside Virtual Machine, as you can see in the attachment, you can't access any file inside the virtual machine.
it's important to backup these DB Files 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You don't back the database files themselves. You need to go through some configuration which will allow BE to backup the Oracle databases using RMAN. Read the Oracle chapter in the Admin Guide on how to do so