cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle FlashRecovery

hnuman
Level 2

Hi all,

I have an Oracle 11g r2 DB on Windows 2008 R2 x64 server. I m using BE 2012 for backups, are there any possibility to use Oracle flsh recovery to undo some user mistakes? or should I use media recovery every time? In my enviroment sometimes it takes 60 minutes to restore something...?

Thanks,

Hasan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RLeon
   VIP   

are there any possibility to use Oracle flsh recovery to undo some user mistakes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are confusing the Fast Recovery Area with Flashback.
The Flashback feature is only available in the Oracle enterprise edition.
Flashback stores its logs in the Fast Recovery Area; you can only use Flashback if you enabled the Fast Recovery Area.
Note: Starting from Oracle 11gR2, the Flash Recovery Area is renamed to Fast Recovery Area

or should I use media recovery every time?

It is up to you whether Flashback or media recovery (I.e., Backup Exec restores) should be used.
If you are worried that using Flashback may adversely affect Backup Exec's backup and restore operations, it doesn't.

In general, use Flashback if the data you want is still in Flashback.
If the data is out of Flashback's retention, then use media recovery (Backup Exec).

Like all other CDP or CDP like solutions, Flashback generally only goes back a few days/weeks.
For longer term backups (months/years), you recover from media managers like Backup Exec where data is stored in long term storage media like tapes, slow disks, etc.

Flashback allows you to do very quick and granular restores that Backup Exec cannot do, such as restoring a single record.
But again, it is about short term vs long term storage, quick vs slow restores, granular recovery vs complete db recovery.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Whether you use Oracle Flash Recovey is not a BE question.  It is for your Oracle admin to decide.

RLeon
   VIP   

are there any possibility to use Oracle flsh recovery to undo some user mistakes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are confusing the Fast Recovery Area with Flashback.
The Flashback feature is only available in the Oracle enterprise edition.
Flashback stores its logs in the Fast Recovery Area; you can only use Flashback if you enabled the Fast Recovery Area.
Note: Starting from Oracle 11gR2, the Flash Recovery Area is renamed to Fast Recovery Area

or should I use media recovery every time?

It is up to you whether Flashback or media recovery (I.e., Backup Exec restores) should be used.
If you are worried that using Flashback may adversely affect Backup Exec's backup and restore operations, it doesn't.

In general, use Flashback if the data you want is still in Flashback.
If the data is out of Flashback's retention, then use media recovery (Backup Exec).

Like all other CDP or CDP like solutions, Flashback generally only goes back a few days/weeks.
For longer term backups (months/years), you recover from media managers like Backup Exec where data is stored in long term storage media like tapes, slow disks, etc.

Flashback allows you to do very quick and granular restores that Backup Exec cannot do, such as restoring a single record.
But again, it is about short term vs long term storage, quick vs slow restores, granular recovery vs complete db recovery.

hnuman
Level 2

Thanks RLeon, that was the question, I was thinking I go back to a single record via flashback, it could damage the reliability of Backup Exec's backups because of Oracle incarnation issues. It could be really great if flashback can be managable from BE. Ok I will use command prompt then...

Thanks,

Hasan