cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order of tapes used in a library

TeeJayUu
Level 4

Hello all,

I'm trying to work out a backup tape strategy for use with an autoloader (library) and need to how Backup Exec 'decides' which tape to use.  I have 2 tapes in my 'Weekly' media set and last Friday it used Tape 2.  This week it used Tape 3.  The Append until is set to Infinite and Overwrite Protection is 26 weeks.

Thanks

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The way BE searches for overwritable tape is given in this document

How Backup Exec searches for overwritable media

Don't fret too much about which tape is used.  See my article on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

BE decides to use the tape based on availability in your media set, or if there are scratch tapes available in the library itself. Your media sets protect tapes based on the Append/OPP settings you have.

If your tapes aren't overwritable or appendable, and no scratch tapes exist, then your job would queue or at worst, fail.

Thanks!

TeeJayUu
Level 4

Thanks Craig,

Both tapes were in the library and correct media set both weeks and it used different tapes.  What I was hoping was that it would use one tape until it was full and then move onto the next.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If your Append/OPP settings aren't correct it would either use another tape or Queue. You need to check your settings and make adjustments where necessary, unless your tapes are full.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The way BE searches for overwritable tape is given in this document

How Backup Exec searches for overwritable media

Don't fret too much about which tape is used.  See my article on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape