cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orphaned Job in Version 12.5

Rampant
Level 3

We have the exact situation described in http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284077.htm

I was futzing in the policy template of a job that was running. Now I cannot delete the job or selection list.

The article says this was fixed in 11.d but this was a clean install of 12.5

It also mentions if removing jobs from the policy doesn't work, you may have to manually delete the job from the database.

We'd be fine with nuking the job by editing the SQL database.  We already created a Veritas.MDB to link into and see all the tables in SQL.   Can we just remove the record from the [Jobs] table... or are there ancillary things that have to be adjusted ?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
I would run beutility and check the database consistency and possibly repair it.

Rampant
Level 3

Per your suggestion, I opened BEUtility and ran a consistency check.

I believe it passed with flying colors as the SQL database itself is all hunky dory.

However, that tool cwarns that it should only be used with the guidance of Symantec Technical Support.

Back to the original question....

I have a job I cannot delete because I was editing the policy when it was running.

Per the article, if the normal steps to remove a job from a policy don't work, I need to remove it manually from the database.

What tables should I be looking at ?  

We don't really want to play around.  If anyone knows for sure please advise.

Rampant
Level 3

Further information....

Version 12.5 Rev 2213

In the Job list on Job Setup tab, this particular job appears, but the policy column is blank.

When we try to delete, it says

"To delete a job created by a policy, remove the association between the policy and the selection list. Click "Delete jobs created by policy" in the Job Setup task pane."

This job does not appear in list of jobs backed up by the policy. (because we followed the procedure from the article, there are no other jobs associated with that policy either).  We have tried to delete the selection list, the job and the policy without success.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
I am curious, but it is hard without seeing it. Are you willing to use Team Viewer and let me take a look? If so, send me a private message with your contact info and geographical location so I know the time difference.

Rampant
Level 3

Thanks for the offer, but no, opening up our system wouldn't really help answer the question.  

We are looking for the procedure to manually delete a job from SQL as mentioned in http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284077.htm

"If there are still jobs listed in the Job Setup tab and/or Job Monitor tab that was created by the policy that the jobs were deleted from and the associated selection list has been removed, these jobs still have to be manually deleted from the database. "

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I guess you are on your own then. You might want to call Symantec Technical Support. Good luck.