cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwritable VS Infinite dont allow overwirite ?

Betabjorn
Level 2

We have a HP DLT8000 using 40GB tabes (60GB with compression).

For a very long time we only used 2 tapes, but suddenly last week BackupExec needed another tape.

(The status of the job was "Loading Media")

We inserted the third tape and after 5 minutes the job was done (status back to Scheduled).

But this week not even 3 tapes was enough, it stopped with status "Loading media" on the third tape also.

Now I just inserted a forth tape and  status is "running"

Now my questions:

How/Where can I see what causes the increased amount of data ?

Is it something wrong with the tapes ?

If I check at the "Media" tab, there are 9 tapes listed.

(DLT000016 to DLT000024)

On 7 of the tapes it reads "Infinite - Dont allow overwrite" in black

On 2 of the tapes it reads "Overwritable" in blue

The forth tape I just inserted has "Overwritable" in blue and the job is running.

The backed up amount of data on that job is at the moment 145GB ....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Betabjorn
Level 2

It was strange to me at first, they had a NAS-disk that first recieved the backupfiles, about 70GB, and then those files were backed up on tape once each week.

The problem was that something happened with the backup to the NAS. Normally the files on the NAS should be erased after copied to tape, but it did not happen. So suddenly there were 140 GB of data, and next week 140 +70 Gb etc.

I manually erased and now it seems to work as it should again :)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

How much data are you backing up?

Goin from two to three tapes could be taht you were just at the edge of capacity and now have just that much more, and so require another tape

Going to four does sound really strange

Betabjorn
Level 2

It was strange to me at first, they had a NAS-disk that first recieved the backupfiles, about 70GB, and then those files were backed up on tape once each week.

The problem was that something happened with the backup to the NAS. Normally the files on the NAS should be erased after copied to tape, but it did not happen. So suddenly there were 140 GB of data, and next week 140 +70 Gb etc.

I manually erased and now it seems to work as it should again :)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You can avoid having to manually clean the NAS by setting the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) on the

B2D media set