cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite Disk

pajoryan123
Level 2
I'm runnig Backup Exec 12.5 for small business server 2008.

Im using BE Backup-to-Disk.

I'd like to configure my backup job to overwrite the disk every night. I can't seem to do this.

I've set up a media pool to not overwrite.

The job continues to append the backup to the disk and eventually the job fails once the disk fills up.

Can anyone please tell me how to set up a simple backup job that will overwrite the disk each time the backup job runs?
thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
Set your media set to allow appends for 12 hours (or so).  That will force it to overwrite every night.

pajoryan123
Level 2
Larry,

Do I this under Media / my media-name / Properties / Media Set Perios
And then should i set "Overwrite Protection Period" = 12 Hours and "Append Period" = 12 Hours

thanks for replying

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From Tools\Options\Media Management

verify that the option to "reuse overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media"

if the alternate (Use  scratch medi before...)  Then BackupExec will fill the disk to the reserver before overwriting/reusing BKF files

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I strongly discourage the use of APPEND for disk based backups, since every BKF file in an "append family " shares the same OPP, which is reset each time the latest one is closed.  thus NONE of them will ever expire and become overwriteable

pajoryan123
Level 2
ken,

does setting the option to "reuse overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" cause the backup job to overwrite every media before the backup job begins?

do i still need to set any of the options under "Media Set Periods" on the media pool itself ?

thanks,