Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite media automatically

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

I have not bothered to consider why disk space that i need to overwrite does not automatically erase data so that the space can be used

I know it is for security, but if i need a particular space for backed up data to be overwritten automatically, how do i do it.

I have set the media overwrite options to overwrite recyclable media contained in the target media set before overwriting scratch media instead of the default. I still have the data showing that it is overwritable and still i have to manually erase the B2D file and associate it with a media set before it can be used.

Please help! what I'm i doing wrong?

15 REPLIES 15

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

First, make sure that all your disk jobs are Overwrite, not Append, since all media (bkf files or tape volumes) in an "append family" share a common OPP that is reset each time a new media is closed

Then verify that your OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) is set to whatever is appropriate for your business, the amount of data you backup and how much space is available on the backup disk  You set OPP by media set, so dailies can have a different OPP than weeklies or monthlies

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi ken,

the daily jobs have an overwrite of 2 days and an append of 1 day.

All the jobs to disk have different OPP.

the Tape is using the default 4weeks with infinite allow append.

chittyserv
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Right click media set > properties > overwrite protection period > desired time

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i have already set the overwrite protection period.

my issue is that when they become overwritable i have to manually overwrite the data.

i do not have an issue creating the media set

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if you allow append then every time you write to the media the overwrite date moves back so you need to get the combination of append period, overwrite period and the length of time the job actually takes to run to be less then how often you want to overwrite that piece of media

Most people get this wrong but don't realize because when  the job tries to start they are tucked home safely with a partner and don't know that the media is not overwriteable, but by the time they come in the next morning the media is overwritable but the job has already failed.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Colin,

thank you for your response.

maybe i am not making myself clear enough.

for instance, i have a backup job to disk for everyday full.

The backup takes 40 mins to complete.

i created a media set for OPP of 2 days and append period of 1 day. The backup takes 40 mins to complete.

i start seeing the overwritable B2D file in blue colour, Overwritable (Scratch Media).

As new jobs start instead of reusing the scratch media which is now overwritable,  it creates a new B2D file and this continues to pile up with so many B2D files in scratch media.

I have to manually erase the data rom the device and then assign it to the Daily full media set i created.

for the tape, i can erase it when ever i need to overwrite it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From Tools\Options\Media Management

verify that the option to "use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected  if the other ('use scratch media before ..." si selected, Backup Exec will continue to create new BKF files until the disk is full before overwriting/re-using old BKF files

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Colin,

I appreciate your previous response.

But i hope you understand my last comment.

I am still expecting any info you can give. I need this.

Thank you.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As mentioned before -

From Tools\Options\Media Management

Set the option to "Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" 

If the other option "use scratch media before ..." is selected, the behavior you are seeing is to be expected as BackupExec will continue to create new BKF files until the volume is full or the Disk Space Reserve is met

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Ken Putnam,

I am already using the media management setting to "Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media", yet the overwritable media does not overwrite.

How do i reserve the disk space so that it does not exceed the setting?

I have about 3 servers having their backups sent to the same volume for the B2D folder. All are set to overwrite after 2 days and append for 1 day.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I am already using the media management setting to "Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media", yet the overwritable media does not overwrite.

In that case, I would suggest a DB repair using BEUtil.  If that doesn't work, try a repair install of BackupExec, followed by the latest SP and all subsequent HotFixes  (or repeated runs of LiveUpdate until no more service is downloaded)

If THAT doesn't work, you probably need to open an incident with Symantec

Also, I would, again, HIGHLY recommend that you do not do appends for Disk backup.  Always use Overwrite

Steve_Balbuena
Not applicable
Employee

You might want to make sure that the Media Overwrite Protection Level is set to Partial since if it is set as Full, it will fully protect any media despite the overwrite protection level or any other settings.

Tools> Options> Media Management>

You might also make sure that if you are using a removable disk, sometimes Backup Exec could not recognize the information written on it after being removed so an Inventory is recommended to be scheduled before each daily backup in order to make sure that Backup Exec recognizes that information. This issue was solved after Backup Exec 2010 R2.

Steve,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You might want to make sure that the Media Overwrite Protection Level is set to Partial since if it is set as Full, it will fully protect any media despite the overwrite protection level or any other settings.

No

FULL means that any file on a media managed by BackupExec (disk or tape) will be protected according to info in the file header, whether that backup was backed up by BackupExec or any other facility

PARTIAL means that only files created by this installation of BE will be protected according to OPP and APP.  Any "foreign" media will be treated as scratch no matter what expiration date is in the file header, even if another install of Backup Exec  created the media

See page 220 of the 2010 Admin Guide

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I may have missed it but I can't tell if your jobs are startying to an Overweite or an Append.

And although I can see what you have set your media set to, at no point have you actually said when you want the media to be overwriteable so we can compare your settings with what you want.

To try to explain why the above information is importat.

If you set ovewrite protection of 2 days with Append of 0 days (or with a Job that starts only as an Overwrite) and you want to use a media that is first used on a Monday on a Wednesday job that starts at the same time, then you won't be able to because the overwrite protection starts at the end of the Monday job so the media in question won't be overwriteable at the start of the Wednsday job, but instead sometime close to the end of that job.

If you set overwrite protection of 2 days with Append of 1 day and allow your jobs to start as an Append, then not only won't you be able to overwrite the media on the Wednesday, but because the Tuesday job might have appended to the media and moved the overwrite protection back another day you might not be able to overwrite on the Thursday either.  ( Note: I used the term 'might' as I am not 100% sure how the comparison between the exact second the media to use is decided on versus the exact second that the allocation to the original media set occurs and there is therefore a possible edge condition caused by the 1 day append with jobs that start at the same time each day might not be allowed to actually append)

Muhammad_Nazaka
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I agree with Collin,