Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite protection.

alphayellow
Level 3

I cant figure this out.

I use Backup Exec 2010.

Backut Exec consistently refuses to reuse tapes claiming the tapes are overwrite protected. Then it ejects the tapes and asks for an overwritable media to be inserted.

This happens with almost all the tapes we have.

I formatted the tapes, deleted them from the database, disabled overwrite ptotection in the BE options, disabled overwrite protection in the media pool. I run an inventory with the tape in, I manually put the discovered tape into the scratch media pool. The tape show as overwritable before the job starts.

Then I start the job, it monts the tape, and immediately ejects the tape asking for an overwritable media.

This is getting ridiculous, and extremely frustrated.

13 REPLIES 13

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Check the event log if there are any events related to the hardware .

Make sure you run inventory on the Tape before running the job .

Go to tools --Options-- media mangement .. Select the option to overwrite scratch media 1st .

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

does the Inventory job goes successful and it reads the tape fine ?

Move the tape to retried media and delete it from BE .Run inventory again and check if that helps .

alphayellow
Level 3

No hardware problems.

Inventory every time I try, scheduled inventory every day.

Already like that.

further more, I set the Media Set's protection to none. ALL media in the set, including the media in the drive is showing as Overwritable.

But I start the job... BE still asks for an overwritable tape to be inserted, even if BE itself is showing the tape AS OVERWRITABLE.

This MUST be some kind of bug!

alphayellow
Level 3

It reads and writes just fine... sometimes the job DOES run perfectly.

Did the retired/Delete bit... same results.

Any time a tape is manually erased and put into the scratch media pool SHOULD by definition be overwritable.

Any time the overwrite protection is set to noe EVERYWHERE in the software, a tape should be overwritable...

WTH is wrong here???

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Do you have any active alert , when you run the backup job. ?

alphayellow
Level 3

You mean an alert that has not been resolved yet?

No.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to repair the BEDB.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Incase if repair does not help . Stop the BE services , make a copy of the data folder and reload the databse from base using Beutility . (you would not be able see your configuration for backup exec , as it will load backup exec with a blank database file ). Try running new job  and see if it overwrites the tape, Incase if it still does not , replace the data folder back .

alphayellow
Level 3

Repairing didn't do anything.

Waiting for a callback from Symantec tech support.

alphayellow
Level 3

Check this out.

I...

Long erased the tape.

Changed the tape name

moved the tape to "retired Media"

Deleted the tape from the database.

Disabled all media overwrite protection in Backup Exec.

Disables Overwrite protection in the media pool

Insert the deleted tape in the drive.

inventory

Move the "new" media from imported to scratch pool

Start a job.

System warns me that I have overwrite protection off.

Then the job stops and asks for new tape as the current media in drive is OVERWRITE PROTECTED...

This is simply retarded...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think you should set your Overwrite Protection Level to at least Partial.  There is another discussion in the forum which described something similiar to your situation.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Does you tape have any kind of Physical protections , I mean a lock or something which does not allow the tape to be overwritten .

alphayellow
Level 3

No physical protection.

Do you have a link to that discussion?