cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite protection

Janusz_Pruchnik
Not applicable
Hello

I have a problem with the new backup device. I configured backup job, inserted the tape to the device and started backup job. It failed due to lack of some folders. Anyway, when I wanted to use the same tape I received the message - the media is overwrite protected. How can I get rid of that status, mark on the tape, to use it for my backup jobs? Can I formatted it or something like that to erase the Overwrite Protection? How do I have to configure the tape or media set to have no overwrite protection on the tapes? Now I cannot use the tapes ... What shall I do?

Janusz
2 REPLIES 2

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
1 - Moving your media to the 'Scratch Media' pool will make the tape available for reuse without the previous OPP and APP settings.
2 - Erasing your media will remove any OPP or APP settings.

You can change the OPP or APP properties of the media set you are using or define a seperate media set, in which you can set your desired OPP and APP settings, so the tape would be protected from overwriting for a period of time. But that is up to you.

Also check the BE help with respect to the OPP and APP settings and how they effect your backup strategy.

Regards
A van der Boom

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
- you can change the media Setting from the Properties of the Media, under the MEdia TAB. However if you put the overwrite protection to None your media will never be Overwritten. Soe we suggest you to put a value, the minimum possible is 1day. so you can Overwrite the Media after one day.
- As suggested before, you can also put the current media in to Scratch media Set to be able to reuse it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps you.
let us know if you have anymore Questions.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.