cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2V Plan for Backup Exec 20 Server

TR-BE2014
Level 5

I'm getting ready to convert a physical BE 20 server to a vm and wanted to see if anyone had any experiences or comments to share. Here's my environment:

vSphere 6.0 (3 ESXI hosts, 1 vCenter server appliance) with latest updates

Backup Exec 20.5 on Windows 2012 R2; Dell PowerEdge R710

Dell DR4100 Deduplication device and attached storage shelf

We used to have a tape library with a sas connection to the R710, but all backups now go over a 10g network to the DR4100. The R710 is not directly connected to any external storage. All of the BE agents are on VMs with the OST plugin so that all Windows backups go directly to the DR  and not through my BE server. 1 Linux agent goes through the BE server. I have 2 encryption keys.

I'm planning to install the VMware Standalone Converter on the BE server so I can convert directly. I already have a datastore for the converted VM that holds a few other utility VMs.

Does anyone see any obvious headaches for me? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TR-BE2014
Level 5

Just in case anyone sees this, the P2V process succeeded with no problems. I did have to manually set the OST storage device online, but no real issues.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TR-BE2014
Level 5

Just in case anyone sees this, the P2V process succeeded with no problems. I did have to manually set the OST storage device online, but no real issues.