cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROBLEMS TO RESTORE SQL DATABASE

DFMG
Level 2

Hi,

Actually i´m having troubles to restore a full backup of sql 2005 database. I need to restore it on a diferent location of the original site.

Can anybody indicate me the specific configutarion of the restore task ? the parameters?

I don´t have now the specific error, but is something like the destination is not found....

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
In order to restore the database to alternate location, you can use SQL redirection. In the restore job, select the databsae to be restored, and go to "SQL redirection" tab and select the target server and instance to which you would like the database to go to. Also, provide the Logon account, if this other server requires some alternate credentials. Do not forget to keep the database in single user mode, if the database being restored already exists on the target server. Else, the best way to go about is to make sure the target database does not exist and let Backup Exec create the database at the time of restore. Ensure that remote agent is installed on the machine to which you plan to restore the database.
Please mark it a solution, if this helps.
Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Aha...but if you're using AOFO, this isn't possible. I found this out the hard way when our Navision developers asked me to restore the production DB to the test environment, and I couldn't get it right.
I logged a call with Symantec who informed me this wasn't possible, although I could still restore the DB.
The work-around was to create another DB instance on the same server, and restore to that. Once done, our developers could pick up the DB and copy it across.
I now make do with failed backups due to open *.psts for instance, but restoring Navision is more important than someone's *.pst.
That would be the only way if you had AOFO on in this instance, according to Symantec.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Craigv
This is absolutely possible even if AOFO being used. The only limitation is that you would require same directory structure on the target server. It should not be a problem, if similar directory structure is present on the server to which you are restoring.

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Any news...?

If this is the solution, please mark it as such.