cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partitioned library

Shahin
Level 6

Hi,

We having an issue with our BE 15 and our Tape library,. we have partitoned our Tape library and with BE 2010, after we did upgrade to BE 15, jobs dont pickup a tape automatically. I did create a job and and use a Partition that has 2 slots, put 2 new tapeind in the slot1 and slot2. both tapes are blank and both in the same media set.

when run the backup and tape 1 is full, the running job dont take the secound tape and goes to the Qeued.

Any idea?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

We did not have problem with this untill we use the BE 2010 R3, this came in light since we have upgrade our BE ro BE 15.

Also in last 4 year or so I alyways put the media manually in correct media set (after erasing the tpaes) and we had never any problem.

I am not trying to argue, and I do not have an obvious explanation without more details, but I don't think I agree with that perspective. Maybe there is some subtle detail that I am missing here.  The most obvious answer would be if you had (for example) a 3 week overwrite protection time, you manually put the tapes into the media set, they then became overwrite protected for 3 weeks, then on week number 4, BE tried to use the tape as it was now overwritable.  I don't see that being likely in a 2 slot partition, but it certainly could happen in a larger partion/library with enough slots and spare media available.

A lot of things DID change between BE 2010 and BE 15, but tape usage and tape media sets protection rules wasn't one of the obvious ones.

Regardless, I think you are on the right track now and let's see what happens at the end of the month.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Delete the partition and recreate it.

Thanks!

Shahin
Level 6

Hi Craig,

I just cannot delete the partition!! there are more partition, and If I want to remove it I have to remove them all.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

remove them all and then redo them. It's very easy to do so.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check that the tapes are overwritable BEFORE the start of the jobs. This is the problem when you use partitions without setting your OPP and AP correctly. It is better to remove all your partitions until you know how to set your OPP and AP correctly. See this document http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032654

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

both tapes are blank and both in the same media set.

Check for an alert message requesting that you import overwritable media.  That would be why the job is sitting queued.

If both tapes are already in the media set, then media protection rules have already been applied, which probably makes for no overwriteable tapes in your case.  A common error is for users to put tapes into the media set manually.  The correct procedure is to leave the tapes in the "scratch" media set and let BE move them into the target media set at the time that the tape is actually used.

Shahin
Level 6

Hi Larry,

We did not have problem with this untill we use the BE 2010 R3, this came in light since we have upgrade our BE ro BE 15.

Also in last 4 year or so I alyways put the media manually in correct media set (after erasing the tpaes) and we had never any problem.

I will follow your suggestion for the next full backup at the end of this month and leave the blnk media in the strech media set and see what heppens.

Thanks

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am not trying to argue, and I do not have an obvious explanation without more details, but I don't think I agree with that perspective. Maybe there is some subtle detail that I am missing here.  The most obvious answer would be if you had (for example) a 3 week overwrite protection time, you manually put the tapes into the media set, they then became overwrite protected for 3 weeks, then on week number 4, BE tried to use the tape as it was now overwritable.  I don't see that being likely in a 2 slot partition, but it certainly could happen in a larger partion/library with enough slots and spare media available.

A lot of things DID change between BE 2010 and BE 15, but tape usage and tape media sets protection rules wasn't one of the obvious ones.

Regardless, I think you are on the right track now and let's see what happens at the end of the month.