cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perform the catalog backup manually

ricardodru
Level 3

Dear, 
How do I perform a backup manually, the media catalog from BE 2012? 
I know where the folder's media catalog, I would keep a copy. 
Thank you...

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Insert the tape into a library/stand-alone drive. Go to the device in BE, and if a library/autoloader run a Scan if you have barcodes, or an Inventory if not.

Once done, right-click the tape and choose the option to Catalog.

The catalog is kept under your BE installation directory in the Catalogs folder. You will be able to find the catalog name from the job once it completes.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are trying to backup the media server then please be aware that you may need to understand the difference Between "Media Inventory" and the backup set "Catalogs" - especially as you probably need to backup both of them.

Although this document is written to explain something to avoid doing, it does describe the key components of Backup Exec  which should help you understand the terms and concepts

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061

At a basic level, the recommendation would be backup the catalogs files when no other jiobs are running, and just before you do this backup also dump the BEDB and back that up in the same backup. This will give you the most consistent view of you data should you have to recover it 

Note: because of how the document was written it does not mention that the BEDB also contains your job configurations however, backing up in the way described will retain these as well.

If you need to backup your job logs as well, then backup the .xml files in the data directory as well as the BEDB and the catalogs folder.