cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performing a backup over a WAN with limited bandwidth

ConchTech
Level 2

I'm attempting to backup a server at one of our offices to our backup server at our main office. The connection between the offices is a 15Mbps. Although I can do the entire backup via the WAN it is obviously taking a very long time to complete the initial full backup.

I was hoping for some backup scenarios to get this setup properly backed up.

One idea I had was to do the full backup to a local USB drive and then bring that backup to the main office to import into the backup server. Then I would try to do incremental backups via the WAN until the next full backup schedule. I would perfer to only install the Agent on the remote office server.

I'm simply not certain how to configure Backup Exec to do the or if this is even possible. Can you perform a backup of a remote server to a device attached to that server without having to install Backup Exec server on the remote machine? Can you import a "sneakernet" copy of the backup to the main backup server?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

I would suggest to install the deduplication option on the backup exec server. Then, please create a backup job and configure it to use Client Side Deduplication. This will ensure that the data deduplication is done on the remote server and less data travels over the network, giving you better performance. 

Refer http://www.veritas.com/docs/000075734

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

I would suggest to install the deduplication option on the backup exec server. Then, please create a backup job and configure it to use Client Side Deduplication. This will ensure that the data deduplication is done on the remote server and less data travels over the network, giving you better performance. 

Refer http://www.veritas.com/docs/000075734

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, that said you're still going to be copying data across your WAN in a non-optimal form. Check out the TN below relating to BE Optimized Duplication of dedupe backup sets as this would limit the data traversing your WAN.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO99119

Thanks!

ohamzaoui1
Level 3

Hi,

Try the dedup option, with Client Side Dedup parametrers.

Try to backup a small folder (2 go, with full and incremental backup), and verify your network.

Regards.

Escape_be
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi ConchTech,

I agree with CraigV. backup to local dedupe storage and use optimized duplication to the central site is the ebst and safest way to go, from more than 1 point of view. You'll need BUE with deduplication option local and remote, as well as CAS server in either of the places.

We have set yhis up on multiple customers sites and works fine. Raw Data upto a couple of TB's will result in small enough quantity of data to be transferred over night.

feel free to ask more specific details if/when needed.

regards

Ben

ConchTech
Level 2

To everyone,

Thank you for your quick assistance on this issue. I agree the deduplication option appears to be the proper way to handle our backup needs.

Unfortunately after reading through many articles on the subject it would seem that this option would also require a large investment in either software, hardware or both. This is something our company cannot do right now. 

I was hoping for something a bit simpler such as using my available BUE server to manage and keep the backups local to the remote server and then having, at least, the full backups uploaded to our main office after the fact. For one of our offices I would have even been ok with going to the site to retrieve the backup to intergrate back at the main office.

Again thank you to everyone for you help.

Really wish Veritas would simple redirect their old links ... or stop moving them in the first place!  Every article someone posts in the forum gets you to a 401 error ... So extremely annoying .. done ranting, we all know veritas doesn't care.