cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perplexing issue backing up to removable hard drives

CCS_Support
Level 3
Hi all,

I have a client that is using 2 external USB 2.0 hard drives to back up their Windows 2003 Small Businss Server. I know, they should be using tape, I've tried to convince them of that, but they won't switch (even after having one of the backup drives crash). Anyway, here is how it all works:

The drives are 2 different brands and models. One is a Maxtor, which is Drive G:, and one is a Western Digital, drive H:. I have 2 sets of backup-to-disk folders, one pointing at G and one at H. When I swap drives, I restart the BE services and then modify the backup job to point to the correct set of backup-to-disk folders. The reason for restarting the BE service is so that BE will notice that one set of backup-to-disk folders are now offline, and the other set is now online. After doing all that, the backups run.

However... here is the perplexing part: With the Maxtor drive (G:) connected, I get the following failure on every backup:

Backup - \\MATRIXOFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
VSS Snapshot error. DoSnapshotSet error. Check event log for more details.

I was told in a previous post that I should un-select and re-select the Shadow Copy Components in the backup job. If I do that, then it works. However, then the next week, when I take out the Maxtor drive and put in the Western Digital, the backups will once again fail until I re-select the Shadow Copy Components. If I were to not do that reselection thing, then the backups would consistently fail with one drive hooked up and succeed with the other one. Whichever one was hooked up when I reselected the Shadow Copy Components will always succeed.

Any ideas? I'm at my wit's end on this one.

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please lower the quiet time settings:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/203200
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.