cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Server Backups Fail

SJV_Mike
Level 3

The backup od all my physical servers will not run. The backup os my NetApp SAN is working perfectly. All of the backup jobs stop with the same message:

"The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Agent for Windows. The correct version of the Agent for Windows must be running on the target computer."

We are backing up to external 3.0 USB Drives at this time.

We have removed the local agents then pushed them out again but this did nothing for us. I ahve run the update from the backup exec server but it says we have the newest versions. All of the services appear to be running both on all servers.

Sorry this is probably a basic issue I am just missing something, this is a new product to me so I am trying to make it work before I look into others.

27 REPLIES 27

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you try to create a new backup as a test for the backup exec server.

Is it showing the local resources for selections (C: system state)?

If no this could be a credentials issue.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check the TN below which details how to troubleshoot this issue:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH73015

Thanks!

SJV_Mike
Level 3

Tried this just now. On the backup server itself all of the accounts I tried failed a credentials test. This even included my domain administrator account. However on all of the other servers the "backup" account passes the credentials test and I get the list of avalible drives and system state for backup.

SJV_Mike
Level 3

Thank you for the link but unfortunatly I had already reviewed that file and found no correction in it for our problem. I did just try to make a new backup on a few of our servers just backing up system state with our "bakup" account used for credentials and those backups worked perfectly. What does this say?

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is backup exec installed on a domain controller?

Goto the logon account

Yellow Button > Configuration and settings > Logon account > Manage Logon account

Locate your account and hit edit.

Make sure in the user name the domain name is added (domainname\administrator)

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

Try creating/running a backup of the local server as Kunal.Mudliyar suggested.  This often is a better test of what is going on and can give more information for troubleshooting.

Also if you havent already I reccomend upgrading to Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 2 - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH203155 This service pack is not available through Live Update yet.

SJV_Mike
Level 3

No it is not installed on my Domain Controllers, the agent is however Backup Exec has its own physical server.

Followed your steps but both my account and the account I made just for backups do have the domain corectly entered and passwords are correct.The account I want to us called "backup" is set as default and both accounts are marked as restricted.

Under the local Logon Account is a generic network account with admin rights that is marked as a global.

SJV_Mike
Level 3

I did just try and make a backup on the local server but can't creat the bakup, get a credentials error on all my accounts. Really odd to me as the system state backup worked on the other servers and credentials passed test on them.

I am installing the SP2 now.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From the logs that you have uploaded

Looks like the backup exec services are running under an account named "mmcfearing"

Can you edit it and change it to the "domainname\backup" account

Yellow Button > Configuration and settings > Backup Exec services > Edit credentials

Check change the service account credentials and add the new user name and password

Check the option "grant required rights..."

Change startup options to automatic

SJV_Mike
Level 3

I have installed SP2 and updated all agents and restarted servers. Unfortunatly this has not corrected the issue and I firmly feel its a credentials issue. I have a mixed enviorment of 2003 32bit and 2008 R2 servers as well as 2 vmWare ESX host servers and a netapp SAN. Backup of the ESX and Netapp are working great using the "root" account for credentials but anything using the symantec Agent just doesn't seam to like the credentials I am trying to use. I setup an account just for symantec in the domain with all the rights that should be needed but after seeing this doesn't work I have even used my own domain admin credentials and still wont pass the credentials test.

Any more suggestions out there?

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Have you checked my post regarding service credential update?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that your BESA has the following rights

Requirements for the Backup Exec Service Account (BESA).

How to define/grant the required user rights/permissions for a Backup Exec Service Account ( BESA )

Also check the remote servers to make sue that the BE remote agent service is running during the backup.

LokiFatCat
Level 3

This does sound like a credentials issue. Basically, Backup Exec is a domain animal and wants its account to be on the domain.

the Backup Exec service account (BESA) needs to be a member of the Domain Admin group or the Backup operators group with specific rights in the domain: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36718

The Backup Exec services on the media server also, for the most part, need to use the same domain account as the BESA:

• Backup Exec Agent Browser (logs on as Backup Exec service account, Automatic startup)
  • Backup Exec Device & Media service (logs on as Backup Exec service account, Automatic startup)
  • Backup Exec Job Engine (logs on as Backup Exec service account, Automatic startup)
  • Backup Exec Server (logs on as Backup Exec service account, Automatic startup)
  • Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers (logs on as Local System account, Automatic startup)
  • Liveupdate (logs on as Local System account, Manual startup)

When the Backup Exec SQL instance is installed, the following additional services are added:

• SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) (logs on as Local System account, Automatic startup)
  • SQL Server Active Directory Helper (logs on as Network Service account, Manual startup)
  • SQL Server Browser (logs on as Local System account, Automatic startup)
  • SQL Server VSS Writer (logs on as Local System account, Automatic startup)

The "Backup Exec Service Account" should be in <domain>\<account> format not .\<account>

SJV_Mike
Level 3

I have reviewed the rights in GP and it appears that our BESA account called "backup" does have these rights as indicated above.

Also all of the services indicated by Backup Exec are running on the local as well as agent machines.

I did update the service credentials, they where set to my credentials not the BESA account.

CraigV

...the easiest way to do this and to make sure that it is done properly is to use BEutility.exe...no mistakes with what account a specific service must use.

I take it that the BESA account ("backup") is unique? Have you tried to create another account with a different name, say svc_backup, and tried to use that?

Thanks!

SJV_Mike
Level 3

Found the BEutility.exe but found no way in it to creat the SESA account.

CraigV

1. Create the account in AD and give it the appropriate permissions.

2. Open up BEutility.exe, right-click your server name and choose the option to change the BESA.

3. Add in the new account and the services will restart.

Thanks!

SJV_Mike
Level 3

OMG thought we had it with the last one, now I got 10 minutes into a full backup of the local host and got a VSS error.

Backup
- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\sjv-backup.stjosephsvilla.net\System?State". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot technology selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

SJV_Mike
Level 3