cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Volume Drive not found

geeksbkup
Level 3

I am using BE 2012 to take backups on IBM DAT 72 DIGITAL DATA STORAGE for taking backups. Recently the backup failed giving error message "The Job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not available". There are no amber indications in the drive. When I tried to eject the cartridge it failed to eject, so I restarted the services the drive came online. When I fired the backup manually to check it the drive goes offline and throws the error.
Read some posts pertaining to this in the web and  there was a suggestion to powercycle the drive, Suppose if I power cycle the Tape drive do I need to shutdown the server, Please provide me some suggestions to fix the error. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes powercycle the drive and the backup server, just reboot them both. Sometimes this can fix or rather show errors not seen before on tape side.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the adamm.log and the event viewer for any errors/warnings.

Powercycling will also help and this does involve shutting down the BE server as well.

Run vendor diagnostics as well against the tape drive to rule out any hardware issues.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes powercycle the drive and the backup server, just reboot them both. Sometimes this can fix or rather show errors not seen before on tape side.