cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Volume Library Media not found when cleaning a drive.

Josh_Wyse
Level 2
When attempting to clean an LTO4 drive in our robotic library, the cleaning job always fails with the message: "Physical Volume Library Media not found."

I am managing drive cleaning via Backup Exec 12.0, not the library itself.  Slot 1 is configured as a cleaning slot, and has a cleaning tape inserted.  The bar code on the cleaning tape is 000037L1, which Backup Exec displays as "000037" in the Devices view.

I see the following error codes/messages:

(Job History) Error: e000810d - Physical Volume Library Media not found.

(Job Log)  Utility Job Information
Slot: 1 / Barcode (blank) / Media Label (blank) / Status: "requested media not found" / Device: Drive 1 (LTO4)

(Job Log)  Job Completion Status
Final error: 0xe000810d - Physical Volume Library Media not found.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors
Completed status: Failed

I have another completely separate backup system set up similarly, that works fine:  Backup Exec 10d, a similar robotic library, a dedicated cleaning slot configured in Backup Exec, a cleaning tape with an 0000xxL1 bar code label.

I have already read the following KB articles/forums posts, and followed all applicable instructions there, and the problem still persists:
- "Physical Volume Library Media not found" (a000810d HEX or e000810d HEX) is reported when attempting a Backup Exec for Windows Servers operation (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/190820.htm)
- How to configure and submit cleaning jobs for autoloaders in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/257265.htm)

What do I need to do to get Backup Exec 12 to properly recognize the cleaning tape, and clean the drive?
4 REPLIES 4

Josh_Wyse
Level 2
I've only got one drive available right now (the drive in question is getting too many errors, so I have disabled it) and need to get this other drive back online as soon as possible so that my backup jobs can catch up.

What other information is needed in order to help troubleshoot this?  Your response is appreciated.

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified
Is the bar code enabled on the robotic library ? Try disabling the bar code.

jesus_asphalt
Level 4
Identical error, except it's on version 10d 

This software is a source of endless frustration and reboots.

AlexMiller
Level 2
Hello All,

totaly the same issue on my Storageworks MSL6000 Series Tape Library.  Everything working properly till i added some new tapes in my library. After this everytime when Cleaning Job running i see this error Error: e000810d - Physical Volume Library Media not found after 92% job. I noticed that at that moment Cleaning tape isn't in Slot 0 (which configured as Cleaning slot) this tape seems is in use! Realy no clue why this happend and how i can solve this.

I tried to start from scrath and deleted cleaning job from job list, deleted cleaning tape from device list and create it again - no luck

Can enybody help me to solve this issue?

thanks a lot