cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Volume Library not found

StevenMetz
Level 2

I have a duplicate that duplicates my full backup to disk to my TL2000 tape library.

I came in today to see that my job was in the query stating no idle devices are available.

I noticed that my robotic library and tape drive 0001 were offline so I unchecked the offline box then tried to initialize and I get the error Physical Volume Library not found. I get the same error when I try to inventory.

I am not to familiar with backup exec as I replaced someone in the position.

I have tried to follow the instructions on another post which instructed that I disable all drives then disable the robotic library and delete them all. Which I did then I restarted the Backup Exec services and it only detected Tape drive 0001. So I was unable to find out how to recreate a robotic library on this software and I restored the database in order to try and troubleshoot the original problem that is stated.

I can see my tape drive in device manager and confirm that it is using the Symantec driver.

I have also ran the Live Update and everything is updated.

There seems to be no issue with the Powervault tl2000 nor the SAS connections running from it to the server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry,

Thanks for your help.

I restarted the server and it works fine now.

It seems the tried and true restart it first method should always be used.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@StevenMetz wrote:

I can see my tape drive in device manager and confirm that it is using the Symantec driver.

I have also ran the Live Update and everything is updated.

There seems to be no issue with the Powervault tl2000 nor the SAS connections running from it to the server.

That is a good start, but incomplete. 

Can you see the Medium Changer in Windows Device Manager?

If yes, then BE should detect the TL2000 when BE services startup and there should be no configuring or creating needed by you as it is all automatic.

If no, then you need to determine why Windows cannot see the hardware.  In simple terms, if Windows cannot see it, then BE cannot see it.

Have you tried power cycling the TL2000?  Then rebooting the server, if needed.

How many tape drives are in the TL2000?

Can you post your adamm.log file here please?

Can you see the Medium Changer in Windows Device Manager?

If yes, then BE should detect the TL2000 when BE services startup and there should be no configuring or creating needed by you as it is all automatic.

If no, then you need to determine why Windows cannot see the hardware.  In simple terms, if Windows cannot see it, then BE cannot see it.

Have you tried power cycling the TL2000?  Then rebooting the server, if needed.

How many tape drives are in the TL2000?

Can you post your adamm.log file here please?

Now I can see the medium changer after I rebooted the TL2000 however, it says it is an Unknown Medium Changer

It also shows me 2 tape drives now which is accurate and both are listed as "IBM ULT3580-HH6 SCSI Sequential Device" which I believe is correct.

I will restart the server now and see if that has anything to do with it.

As far as the asamm.log file goes, this is my first time looking at it so I will have to go through it to ensure there is no information on it that I wouldn't want to share.

I can however share this which is the last entries at the bottom of the file which may be an issue that needs addressed.

[09348] 01/11/18 14:52:23.886 [StorageManager::RemoveUnusedLocalDisksFromDB] Results:
1 non-present unconfigured local disks were deleted
1 local disk parent objects with no local disks were deleted

[13904] 01/11/18 15:07:21.168 The following event was reported on 1/11/2018 2:54:54 PM:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort2.

--------------------

This error signifies controller errors. These errors are generally caused by hardware that is not functioning correctly. To resolve these errors, try the following actions:

- Slow the SCSI bus.
- Verify that the latest SCSI drivers and firmware are loaded.

If these errors continue to occur, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@StevenMetz wrote:

Now I can see the medium changer after I rebooted the TL2000 however, it says it is an Unknown Medium Changer

It also shows me 2 tape drives now which is accurate and both are listed as "IBM ULT3580-HH6 SCSI Sequential Device" which I believe is correct.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort2.

"unknown medium changer" is exactly what you want to see.

The tape drives listing sounds correct.  Please check and make sure you are using Microsoft drivers, and NOT the IBM drivers.

As far as I know, the adamm.log would only contain your server name and hardware serial numbers, so most people doesn't consider it a risk to post.  But feel free to review it or just post samples.  Since your library and drives are probably now discovered, there isn't a huge need to post it here.

The first error looks disk related, not tape.  so you can ignore that or investigfate as a separate issue.

Please make sure that your TL2000 is hooked up to a non RAID HBA.  Unelss it is one of the few RAID HBAs that support tape.  See https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000038683

Larry,

Thanks for your help.

I restarted the server and it works fine now.

It seems the tried and true restart it first method should always be used.