cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical to virtual conversion does not load the OS, found that drive letters change.

AskME
Level 3
Certified

Hello All,

I am converting a physical machine to a vhd using BE 2012. Conversion is scheduled after a backup completes. The physical machine had a drive letter assigned to system reserved partition. Hence the selection list contained the system reserved partition, c: and system state.  The conversion is successful. However when we load the vhd, we find that it does not boot. On further investigation I found that drive letters had changed.

I used diskpart to change and revert to original drive letter, however after I reboot the vhd, its back to the incorrect drive letters. 

Further to which I removed the drive letter for the system reserved partition and hence the selection list could see only the c: and system state. The backup was done and then a conversion to vhd. The issue still persist. The VHD does not load due to incorrect drive letters, Not sure from where does find the system reserved partion now.

Any ideas???

4 REPLIES 4

deepak_t
Level 4
Employee

can you please confirm when you configured backup and later add stage for p2v, whether your simplified diaster recovery was on?

AskME
Level 3
Certified

Yes, SDR was turned on.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

By any chance, was X the drive letter assigned to the system reserved partition ?

AskME
Level 3
Certified

Hello Vjware,

The drive letter was initially assigned, but it was taken of later and then a new backup and restore was performed as already mentioned in the first comment.

Regards.