cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical volume library drive or Robot paused, offline or disabled

Qingyan_Lim
Level 4

Hi all,

I had opened up the magzine of the autoloader and replace the tape manually. After that, I encountered the error whenever I tried to bring the robotic library online and which I swop back to the original tape. 

screenshot.jpg

Now, how do I resolved this and what would be the correct procedures to replace the tape from the autoloader using BE2012?

Regards,

Qingyan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Power down both the media server and tape library 2. Power up the tape library 3. Power up the media server 4. Check that the tape library is functioning correctly in the Device Manager

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can try the following:

1. Run tapeinst.exe to make sure that the Symantec drivers have been installed for the tape drive. Also make sure that in Device Manager, the robotics of the autoloader shows up as "Unknown medium changer". If this has a different driver, change to this.

2. Stop the BE services, and run your tape autoloader vendor's diagnostic utility to rule out any hardware issues.

Thanks!

Qingyan_Lim
Level 4

Hi CraigV,

Actually I have run tapeinst.exe multiple times but it prompt to reboot the machine which until now I haven't. And I have checked that robotics of the autoloader shows up as "Unknown Medium Changer".

But I wasn't sure whether HP have their disgnostic utility to scan for hardware issue, I would need to source for it.

Regards,

Qingyan

CraigV

Download HP Library and Tapes Tools here:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html

Stop the BE services, and run the diagnostic self-test which checks for issues.

But if you haven't restarted the server, do so and check again.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Power down both the media server and tape library 2. Power up the tape library 3. Power up the media server 4. Check that the tape library is functioning correctly in the Device Manager

Qingyan_Lim
Level 4

Hi all,

I have installed the HP Library and Tapes Tools, stop all the BE services and did some test using the diagnostic tools. After that, I startup the BE services and surprisingly, all are working fine and now I am running full backup on all the past scheduled jobs. Have this happened to anyone before, as in running the test using HP Library and Tapes Tools and all issues are resolved?

Regards,

Qingyan

CraigV

...the fact that you needed to restart your server meant that BE had made a change, and a restart was required to effect that change.

HP LTT would simply have checked for any hardware issues and reported on these...the restart probably did the trick.

Thanks!

Qingyan_Lim
Level 4

Actually, I did not restart the server (server belongs to my customer and I can't restart it because it is in production) which was why I am puzzled by that. I will re-create the same issue encountered on that server again and save whatever log file generated from HP LTT. 

Thanks a lot . Alhamdullilah it worked .