Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning for Tape vault and automation of the tape process

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

We have the following.

1. BE 2014 on Windows 2008 R2 SP2.

2. IBM Tape Library with two drives and 44 Slots. [Model - IBM TS3200].

3. I have created tape partition for each backup server, one for onsite and other partiton for offsite. I have create 8 tape partition all total.

Now , we are planning for taking backup on to the tape and making two seperate copy of the same bakup on to the tapes.

One tape partion set is for onsite(i.e. we will not remove the tapes from the Tape Library) and other tape partition is for offsite (we will remove the tapes for sending to a remote location/Bank).

I have created the onsite and offsite using the  "Add Stage" option to add the tape and duplicate the same backup on to a seperate Tape partition.

And along I have used the option ejection of tape after the tape completes.

I have created 2 media set for tape experition period. One for onsite and other media set for offsite.

Now, I have created media vault. I have associated the Media Vault for the offisite tape.

Please, help how this media Vault works and what happens when I put the tape inside this vault for offsite tape.

How to automate the offisite tape which need to be again inserted in the tape library.

Will there be a alert or is there any mail alert for the tape that need to again imsert the specific tape in the tape before the offsite tape backup.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you only have one offsite location, then don't make things complicate by using media vaults.

When you export a tape, it will be marked as offline by BE.  When you return the tape to the library by importing it, it would be marked as online.  If you are not using barcode labels which you should be using, then make sure you check the auto-inventory option during the import or do a manual inventory after the import.

If you want to automate the import process, use my script below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/bemcli-script-import-tape-first-empty-slot

It is also relevant for BE 2014.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Mrinal,

Check out the link below and see if this helps explain things:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO22294

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you only have one offsite location, then don't make things complicate by using media vaults.

When you export a tape, it will be marked as offline by BE.  When you return the tape to the library by importing it, it would be marked as online.  If you are not using barcode labels which you should be using, then make sure you check the auto-inventory option during the import or do a manual inventory after the import.

If you want to automate the import process, use my script below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/bemcli-script-import-tape-first-empty-slot

It is also relevant for BE 2014.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

Yes, we will be using only one offsite location.

Yes, we are using the barcode for the tapes..then I guess we does not required the auto-inventry option.

Then ...Is there be any automation possible..which will autometically say to the admin that these tapes required to be inserted in the tapes library...

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You would have to manage the return of the tapes manually. Normally you would have a couple of sets of tapes which you rotate onsite and offsite on a regular basis