cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Platform Server Roll Up fails Exchange2007 backups with "MAPI credentials" error

help_me_rondo
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hey all,

Just thought I would share with you my experience from the other day.

My Exchange 2007 tape backup was running fine. I was getting the MAPI error earlier but had resolved that several months ago through various tech articles telling me to change the resource order, remove IPv6, make LMHOST file entries correct, MAPI/CDO updated. All of that fixed the MAPI error before but as Nov 18th, my backups failed again with the same MAPI credentials error. Nothing had changed, no credentails had changed, no job settings had changed, no logon accdounts had changed - NOTHING!

After several days of fiddling with credentials, changing default logon accounts and re-visiting all the articles I had read in the past, I checked for all the Windows updates that had been applied on all servers and found Platform Rollup for server 2008 (KB971644) was isntalled on Nov 18th on our Exchange 2007 server. I removed this roll up package (3 part rol-up package, two components required a server reboot) and my backups are working again once more.

So it's safe to say, Windows Update KB971644 - Platform Rollup for Windows 2008 - will fail your Exchange 2007 GRT-enabled tape backups where Exchange2007 is running on a Windows 2008 box. :(

This update was released only recently released by Microsoft so it's also fair to say that this is a new bug that I doubt Symantec are even fully aware of.

Hope that helps,

Rondo #9

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Wow!  Great legwork.  Hopefully this will be useful for others.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I will test that!

If this is really true, you made my day.
Currently got 3 customer cases with MAPI auth error.

Will give you a feedback!

Thanks!

help_me_rondo
Level 3
Partner Accredited
not a problem guys.

As I say, this update was downloaded/applied on Nov 18th so when I had resolved it a couple of days later, I kinda figured i wouldn't be alone in this scenario, so hence I jumped onto here and shared my experiences.

Hope it works out for you all :)

Rondo#9

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Your solution did not work for my support cases. (MS hotfix was not installed on the systems)
The problems are related to Backup Exec Hotfix 329071.
On a BE system without this hotfix, everything runs fine.

best regards

Dominik