cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with BE 12.5 not reusing B2D files and thus filling up the drive

SCBHelpdesk
Level 2

Hello,
i am running BE 12.5 on a Windows 2008 server. it is doing B2D backups to a Data Domain device.
the problem is that it does not appear to be re-using the media files correctly.
for example, i have several media sets and one of them is set for overwrite protection for 2 weeks.
however, when i look in the media set, there are files in there, that were allocated on 12/13/2009, this now being february, long after 2 weeks, these files should be gone.
what do i have to do to get these files to automatically expire, so that i don't manually have to remove the files to keep the drive from filing up?
any help would be greatly appreciated, as manually deleting hundreds of files, is very time consuming and has to be done constantly to get the backups working.
thanx,

6 REPLIES 6

David_Perrin
Level 5
Look at the media set you are using for the B2D jobs.  The media set is what controls when the B2D file can be overwritten.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Check the Global Media Management options

make sure that the option to "use ovewriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected

If the other option "use Scratch media before ..." is selected, BackupExec will continue creating new BKF files until the disk space is exhausted

SCBHelpdesk
Level 2
my global is set to use overwriteable first.
my media set is set for 2 weeks of OPP
but when i looked today, there were still files in there from december, so i manually deleted all of them up until 1/15
i will let this weekend job run and see if those are reused.
it appears tho, that it just keeps making new files and not reusing the old ones.

David_Perrin
Level 5
Seems like 2 weeks of over-write protection should have allowed the disk files to be overwritten...  When you go to the media tab and look at the B2D media set, do you see the B2D files in there?

SCBHelpdesk
Level 2
 yes, they still show up in the media set, with an allocated date of over a month ago.
so i went through and moved 100's of them to retired media, and then deleted from BE and from my DataDomain device by hand.
Must be something incorrect that this is happening but i am not sure what.

i have the following media sets:

Job 1 Daily Incremental and Job 2 Daily Incremental: 5 days OPP
Job 1 Weekly Full Backup and Job 2 Weekly Full Backup: 2 Weeks
Job 1 Monthly Full and Job 2 Monthly Full: 2 Months
Yearly Backup: 1 year of OPP.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Hmm

Are your jobs Overwrite or Append? 

I recommend Overwrite for all B2D jobs, because Append will extend the OPP date every time a job closes the media set,  for every BKF file in the media set