cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command

alejo24
Level 3
Partner

hello,
I was running a backup and warning logo appeared with the message Sin título4.png"Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command" the problem is that the backup is 62% and is 150 GB.

Is there any way to continue the backup without canceling the job?

The warning comes with this code V-275-439

14 REPLIES 14

alejo24
Level 3
Partner

how do I keep the backup on tape GB-019L5?

cintas.png

mediaset.png

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Most libraries support importing media while a backup job is running.  So, yes, generally you can do as the prompt requests and import an overwriteable media into the library using an import job and then the backup job will continue.

alejo24
Level 3
Partner

But i cant cancel the job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is not so.  If the user is not using barcode labels, then the imported tape would not be recognised by BE and it needs to be inventoried.  Doing an inventory is not possible while a backup job is running, thus the import is useless.  In this case, the job needs to be canceled.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you cancel the job, then you would have to start all over again.

If you are using barcode labels and have empty slots in your library, you can import an overwritable tape into the library for the job to continue.  If you are not using barcode labels, then you have to cancel the job and start all over again.

You cannot use GB-019L5 because it is not overwritable.  BE cannot append to a second tape.  It needs an overwritable tape for the second and subsequent tape.

To prevent this problem from happening again, make sure you have sufficient overwritable tapes BEFORE the start of the job.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Not always true.  Even without bar codes, by doing an import job, BE will know that the media has changed.  If BE doesn't know what the media is, it will mount it and attempt to use it for the backup that is running.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If you are not using barcode labels, then you have to cancel the job and start all over again.

Not necessarily.  I suggest using the "import, with inventory after import" selection.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
How is an inventory possible when BE is in the midst of running a backup job??? Also why are you asking the user to run an inventory when in your other comment, you said that BE will use an unknown tape for the running job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Can you provide some documentation to support this assertion?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am not going to argue with you.  I made the suggestion to you, not the OP.  The OP has two tape drives in the robotic library, so there is no problem for them to run an inventory while a backup is running.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Try it for yourself.  Do an import on a robotic library without a bar code reader.  BE will not know exactly what the new tape is, due to lack of a bar code, but the GUI will show that there is an unknown tape now in that slot.  When a backup job is running that is requesting media via an import, it is only logical that BE would attempt to use this unknown media.  Otherwise the alert message is bogus.

alejo24
Level 3
Partner

thanks for replying, but I canceled the backup and did a new job.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO98957

You have to run an Inventory after importing a tape without a barcode. If it gets imported as unknown media, how can BE use the tape?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

You have to run an Inventory after importing a tape without a barcode.

That is true if YOU want to know what is on the tape before it gets used and you want the GUI updated now.

If it gets imported as unknown media, how can BE use the tape?

BUT, When BE is already in the position where it is prompting "Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command", BE will attempt to use the freshly imported media.  If the media is uable for the job, then it gets used.  If the media is not usable for hte job, then the {lease insert" alert is shown again.  That is based upon my expereince and what I see as proper logic.  It is documented at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH23219  which says "Place overwritable tapes in the robotic library and respond to the alert in Backup Exec with an Ok. The backup should continue."

It would be similar when you run a restore job and BE asks for you to import media XXXX.  After importing, BE will attempt to restore from the freshly imported media without the need to run an inventory.

If BE would NOT attempt to use any freshly imported media automatically, the prompt should be changed to say "Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command and then run an inventory".