cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please insert overwritable media issue

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Hi

We are using Backup Exec 9.1 build 4691 with an HP LTO 1 tape drive. Basically the backup job runs and ejects the tape as specified in the options but doesn't seem to verify. Every morning i have the following message appear 'Please insert overwritable media into the drive' with the options yes, no and cancel. The media set OPP is set to none and i cannot seem to workout why this is happeneing. I am using the same tapes as previous. Can anyone assist?

Regards

Simon
6 REPLIES 6

Smiley_Mak
Level 4
Morning,

Would it be possible that the tape reached it limits and backup is asking for a second tape ?

Simon_Scott
Level 4
The tapes that are being used have plenty of space on them and i have backed a lot more than what i am backing up now.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
remembemr that 2:1 compression is not engineering promise.  any compression you get over 1:1 is all you get.  I generally figure about 1.2-1.3:1

So if you are getting 130GB on a 200GB tape, the tape is probably full, even thought the manufacturer calls it a 100/200 GB volume.

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Thanks for your reply

I shall reduce the size of the backup and test it tonight and reply to this in the morning

Simon

chewnspit
Level 2
Yea just wondering if you've gotten this issue resolved.  130gb of 200gb probably means your disk is full.  i swapped in another disk and it works good now. 

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Hi

Would you believe it, but the server i was doing the backups on decided to give up the ghost and crashed so only in the last couple of days have i been able to test the theory. Anyway yes that is correct by the looks of it, as i done a 10gb backup and all was sweet!

Thanks

Simon