Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point to clear for BE 2010 R3 installation in SAN environment

geekgadget
Level 4

Dear All ,

Need your valuable advise for this particular case

I have to install BE 2010 R3 in an environment and to take backup of servers like exchange ,SQL ,Sharepoint and AD client have 3 domains.

what I am planning to do after getting some good feedbacks from this wondeful forum , actually I want to clearify some doubts how to do this task finally.

currently client data is approximately 4 TB.

My points are :

1.How much storage in SAN I have to ask for creating a Deduplication folder so that I want to dump all backup data in this folder and it can handle backups  for atleast a year.If there are some points or issues please highlight them.

2.I want to send this backup data from deduplication folder from SAN to their Tape storage media by creating a duplicate job , so I need to know what issue can be occured.

3.For daily ,weekly and monthly backup of each respective servers what should I do.

a.Create a jobs for each respective server for their daily , weekly  and monthly backups seperately and move all of them in deduplication folder in SAN

b.If using policies then how can we do this thing.

In both of the cases for point 3 how can we make partitions in tape storage for daily,weekly and monthly basis and how many cartridges we have to assign for each respective jobs, what are the criteria of selecting number of tape cartridges. This is one of my main concerns how to corelate this backup data that is on dedup folder in SAN to tape storage .

Regards

Geekgadget

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) As per Symantec Dedup folder size shouldn't go beyond 16TB. To retain data for six months you will 

need lot of space and it also depends the amount of data that you are backing up.

2) When you duplicate backups from dedup to tape device, data is rehydrated to its original form 

so duplicate backup jobs will be time consuming.

3) You may create 2 policies, 1 for flat file backups and the other for Database backups.

In each policies you may add 3 templates for daily, weekly and monthly.

You may create 3 partitions 1 each for daily, weekly and monthly. Depeding on the retention policy 

you can configure the media set for each job so that the tapes can be rotated.

geekgadget
Level 4

Thanks for your comment

1.If  the client has deduplication suite so it means that they can create more than 1 deduplication folder as per media server if it's not then then please clear what it means because what is mentioned in Bill of quantity (BOQ) "SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 DEDUPLICATION SUITE WIN PER SERVER BNDL"

so I think that I can create more than 1 deduplication folder per media server which lets me to create deduplicated data greater than 16 TB .However it's menationed in that you can have only 1 dedup folder per media server.

so please clearify on this point if I can have only 1 deduplication folder then suggest them to remove all of their deduplicated data after moving to tape storage after some time for e.g after 4 months or any other better option.

2.Actually clients has both license in thier BOQ so I think that I cannot do any thing more than this to move dedup data to tape and have to compromise on time factor but I want to their any other issues or not.

3."You may create 2 policies........"

what I want to clear when we create GF-F-S policy(3 templates daily,weekly & monthly) and define a two selection list(1 for database & 1 for flat files) for each server seprately

and define backup jobs like this for each servers

-> GFFS policy + selection list 1 for Exchange server (Flat files)

->GFFS policy + selection list 2 for Exchange server (Databasefiles)

If this is ok what I understand then what I will do for sending this backup data to tape storage as a duplicated job specifically of daily template data which include selection list 1 & 2(flat file & database) of exchange daily data to tape storage daily cartridges partition.

similalrly for weekly and monthly backup.

Their media retention policies are that they want keep data on tapes for atleast 2 years

Please correct me where I needed.

Regards

Geekgadget

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Only 1 Dedup folder per media server can be configured.

In 1 of the selection list add multiple server but just select flat files from those servers for the other 

selection list again select multiple servers which are having databases.

Duplicate templates can be added in the policies itself. So each policy will have 6 templates 

Daily, weekly, monthly and duplicates of each.