cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing BE to an existing remote SQL instance.

point-blanc
Level 4

I had Backup Exec 2012 installed which had it's database pointed towards a remote SQL instance on my SQL server. I'm rebuilding the server. I'm pointing the new install to this existing instance. It errors stating that it is already in use by another Backup Exec. I stopped the services of that instance but still does n't work.

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Do you need that remote instance again, or can you trash it and go with a clean BEDB? If the latter, delete it from SQL itself, and then try the installation again.

Otherwise go for the local installation via SQL Express.

Thanks!

Steve-Young
Level 6
Employee

You dont want to delete the database if you want to keep your jobs and settings.

On your SQL server detach the BEDB database and then move mdf/ldf files out of the SQL directory.

Reinstall BE pointing it to your SQL instance.  

If you need the jobs or want your old database back Stop the Backup Exec services. On the SQL server detach the BEDB and  copy back in the saved out database files you want. Reattach them to SQL.

Start BE services back up.

This is assuming the Backup Exec version you reinstalled is the same version of the older database .

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Fully aware of that and how it works, which is why I asked the OP to confirm what he wanted...I've recovered BE from bedb.bak multiple times in the past.

Thanks!