Windows
Linux

I then created a new policy as follows:

Name:
Daily Backup Policy

Templates:
Windows
Linux

When I right click the policy and select 'New Jobs using policy' I tick options for Windows & Linux selection lists.
This then generates 4 jobs?
1 for windows using windows
1 for windows using linux
1 for linux using windows
1 for linux using linux

It then kicks of a backup.

I only want 2 jobs. 1 for the windows servers & 1 for the linux server. I only want it to run according to the scheule, not 'run now'.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
regards,
Phil.

10 REPLIES 10

Steve_Samoransk
Level 4
After you created the policy how many job templates are there in the policy? For each job template it will create an actual job for each backup selection list.

Thanks

Todd_Henry
Level 4
Personally I would start by re-naming my selection lists, policy names, and templates to be more descriptive.  I find it helps with troubleshooting.  Here is an example.

Selection Lists:
All Windows Servers
All Linux Servers

Policy Name:
Tape Media Rotation

Template Names:
Differential Backup
Full Backup

In the scenario described if you have two templates within one policy it will create two backup jobs for each selection list.  In this case creating four total backup jobs.  My suggestion would be to create one template within the policy and select both selection lists.  If this doesn't fit your needs then maybe you should think about isolating each selection list into its own policy.

As for the jobs running immediately after job creation, did you change the "Effective" date within the schedule?  I've noticed in the past that if you change this date prior to the job creation it will try to run immediately.  In which case BackupExec may see this as a missed job.  Also make sure that within the schedule "Run now & run according to rules for this template" is not selected.  I would suggest using "Run according to schedule and run according to rules for this template.

I hope this helps.

Philip_Horan_2
Level 4
Thanks guys. I do have more descriptive names I just tweaked things to shorten my post!
I am unable to use a single template due to the way I am having to back up the Linux server.

I am not backing up directly from the linux box via the remote agent in the traditional sense (too many errors)Basically a script runs each evening on the linux box. It backs the system up to a directory. I then back this folder up using the remote agent. I am unsure as to what time the Linux script executes/completes. I have a scheduled job that runs at 5am (Linux Server Daily Backup Full). My Windows Servers Daily Backup Full runs ar 10pm (also have weekly's as above but named weekly :) )

Hope I make sense!!
Regards,
Phil.

Todd_Henry
Level 4
Okay it sounds to me like you only need one selection list, one policy, and one template.  However, if you want to separate your job times, Linux at 5am and Windows at 10pm you need separate policies to govern those times.  In your example you've created two selection lists, one policy, and two templates.  Therefore, each selection list will be applied to each job template within the policy.  This is how you are getting 4 jobs instead of 2.

Here are my suggestions.

Selection List:
All Linux and Windows Servers
>>Use resource order to prioritze your servers.

Policy:
Media Rotation

Template:
Full Backup - Backup Files (Mon. - Fri.)

--

Selection List:
All Linux Servers
All Windows Servers

Policy:
Media Rotation - Linux

Template:
Full Backup
>>Backup Files (Mon. - Fri.), schedued at 5am.

Policy:
Media Rotation - Windows

Template:
Full Backup
>>Backup Files (Mon. - Fri.), schedued at 10PM.

I hope this helps.

Philip_Horan_2
Level 4
Thanks Todd. I will implement your suggestions.
Many Thanks,
Phil.

Philip_Horan_2
Level 4
Todd you refer to your Policy as 'Media Rotation'. Am I able to select both daily & weekly media sets?
Confusing myself here!!

Basically I have 2 media sets:
Weekly: Monday  (Windows 10pm / Linux 5am so Linux runs on a Tuesday & appends to media)
Daily: Tues-Fri (Windows 10pm / Linux 5am so linux runs wed to saturday & appends to media)

Would I need to create:
Policies:
Linux Media Daily
Linux Media Weekly
Windows Media Daily
Windows Media Weekly

Selection List:
All Linux Servers
Template
Linux Full Backup Tue-Sat 5am

Selection List:
All Windows Servers

Template
Windows Full Backup Mon-Friday 10pm

Not sure what i am gaining using policies!!
Advise as always welcome,
Phil.

Todd_Henry
Level 4
Phil,

Let's not get caught up in the nomenclature of my policy names.  That is how I identify my policies and the way you've currently named yours is perfectly fine.  It's great that we are hashing this out, because this gives me time to ensure that our backup policies are working as expected.  I am not a BE expert so please test and re-test anything I've suggested to ensure that your data can be restored properly.

First, policies are a way to group your common backup jobs to have greater control over them using template rules.  For instance, we have payroll data which is high availability data in our corporation.  I have a policy that controls both the back-up to disk and back-up to tape media.  That data is first backed up to disk and then the policy duplicates the job and backs up the data to tape.  Then I have a template rule that states when the back to disk is complete start the back-up to tape.  This is just one example of what you can do with policies.  Restoring from a disk based back-up is a lot faster than tape.  Again high availability data.

Another less complicated policy that I use is Differentials to tape Mon - Thurs and Full backup on Fri.  Again, one policy groups two templates that are required for this job.  One template would be for "Daily Backup" and the other "Weekly Backup".  I am forced to have two templates because each backup type has different parameters.

Now that I have a better understanding of your backup needs, this is what I would do in your scenario.  However, in the end you will have four total backup jobs.  2 for Linux (Monday and Tues-Fri) and 2 for Windows (Monday and Tues-Fri).  There is no way around this given how you've already defined your back-up structure.

The only thing I would change in what you've outlined is to consolidate both Linux Media Daily and Linux Media Weekly.  Create one policy named "Linux Media" and then define your templates as "Daily Backup" and "Weekly Backup".  Then set your parameters within each template, e.g. "Linux 5am so Linux runs on a Tuesday & appends to media".  Those jobs will run according to your schedule. Do the same for the Windows Media Daily and Windows Media Weekly.

So now your job setup should look something like this.

Backup Selection List:
All Linux Servers
All Windows Servers

Policies:
Linux Media
>>Define one template as Daily Backup (Set parameters like schedules, day, times, append, etc)
>>Define a second template as Weekly Backup (Set parameters like schedules, day, times, append, etc)

Windows Media
>>Define one template as Daily Backup (Set parameters like schedules, day, times, append, etc)
>>Define a second template as Weekly Backup (Set parameters like schedules, day, times, append, etc)

Then you create new jobs by applying each selection list to its corresponding policy name.
>>All Linux Servers -> Linux Media = Two scheduled jobs
>>All Windows Servers -> Windows Media = Two scheduled jobs

I hope this helps.

Philip_Horan_2
Level 4
Thanks for your time Todd,
Regards,
Phil.

Todd_Henry
Level 4
I'd be interested to hear what your outcome is like.

Philip_Horan_2
Level 4
Todd if I implement I will post back. As it stands I do a full backup every night. I currently have 4 jobs created from selection lists so do not see the advantage of using policies or templates taking into account my requirements.
Phil.