cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor B2D Performance Advice needed

martin_widema1
Level 3
Partner
I have a problem with Backup Exec 12.5 and the Performance of Backup to Disk. First the Coniguration:

HP DL380G6 Server
Windows 2003 x64
Backup Exec 12.5
HP MSA2000 G2 Fibre Channel

Now the Problem:

We see a very poor Backup Performance when writing on the MSA Device, it´s round about 25% slower than a direct Tape Backup to LTO4 (same Source).

The Raid on which the B2D Folders are on is the following:

2x Raid5 with 8 1TB Sata Drives connected via 4Gbit Fibre Channel

Chunk Size of the Raid is 64KB and the Disk Alignment is set correctly. NTFS Element Size is maximum.

Any Idea´s how to increase the Performance? With I/O Meter i´ve got round about 120 MB/s with 32K seq. Writes. With Backup Exec only 25-30 MB/s. I don´t think that the Source our LAN is the Bottleneck because a Tape Backup from the same Source runs much faster than the B2D Job.

How Much Impact does the Last Access Time Stamp have on the B2D Performance?

Hope Someone could help me!

Thanks in advance

Martin
5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Martin,

Firstly, take a read over these 2 tech articles:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/231488.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285756.htm

What sort of speeds are you capable of getting when you do a normal copy to those drives? Are you backing up VMs, or data from remote servers? Furthermore, how much data, and roughly how many files? Lots of small files will always be slower, but the difference in speeds between your tape and disks seems to be excessive.

Laters!

martin_widema1
Level 3
Partner
The Backup Jobs where we´ve got the Problems are Backups from a NetApp Filer. We´ve got roughly 21GB per Hour on Disk and round abound 25% more with the Same Job to Tape (LTO4 Tape Lib).

When doing a I/O Meter to the Disk i´ve got Write Speed of Round about 120 MB/s. This Performance is exakt the way i think such a Raid5 Array can manage.

In Case that the Tape Backup Run´s faster i think the File count is not the Problem here because it´s the same for both jobs.

I know this Tech Articles, but there are no Informations about NTFS Settings and i think the Filesystem is the Bottleneck from my point of view.

CraigV
OK...2 other things...

1. Speed of a full backup to the B2D folder?
2. Patch level of BEWS 12.5? Is it on the latest SP, and do you have the latest patches installed?

Laters!

teiva-boy
Level 6
Go to a larger RAID chunk size.

Upgrade the firmware and drivers for the HBA, array, and drives.  

Defrag the B2D location, or set pre-allocated BKF files.

CraigV
Hi Martin,

Have you come right here?