cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port 3527 is currently being used by another application

Zane_Paxton
Level 3
I'm trying to install Backup Exec for Windows Servers (I'm running Windows 2003 Standard)

When I run the pre-installation check, it reports the following problem:

"Port 3527 is currently being used by another application"

From reading other posts on this forum, I ran TCPView and it shows that port 3527 is being used by Localhost: Microsoft-ds

So now what? How do I resolve this matter? Is the only way to rummage into the registry to reassign that critical port?

Thanks in advance for any help!
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Port 3527 is reserved by Backup Exec. If this port is in use by another application, install will complete but the Backup Exec Server Service will not start and Backup Exec will not load.

Finding the application that is using port 3527 and reassigning that application to another port is preferred; however, you can change the port used by Backup Exec if necessary .

To change the port Backup Exec uses:

1. Using RegEdit or RegEdt32, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\.

2. Right click Server, select New and then select DWORD Value.

3. Name the key MQPortID, and enter the value of the new port that Backup Exec should use for communications.

Note: All MMS and CASO servers should be configured to use the same port that is assigned for MQPortID.

4. Restart Backup Exec's services

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

Note: SBS 2000 and SBS 2003 install the SBS firewall service on port 3527 by default.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Zane_Paxton
Level 3
What about the other service that I mentioned that is using that same port? Can that be changed? It appears to be a micorsoft service of some sort...

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As mentioned in the earlier reply, finding the application that is using port 3527 and reassigning that application to another port is preferred.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.