cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to put a delay between server backup's?

norbertg
Level 5

Due to internal requirements regarding backup's one of our servers needs to be backed up several hours before the current backup schedule. I am wondering if it's possible to put a delay (about 3 hours) between backing up servers on the same job?

Scanario:

Current: Job 1 backs up server 1, server 2, server 3, server 4. Starts at 11:30pm

Job 2 backs up Server a, server b. Starts at 11:40pm

Job 2 is fine the way it is and doesn't clash with reboots (Automatic updates Tue-Wed at 10pm) etc. Server 1 is a 'special' server with 'special' requirements where everything has to work around it's schedule.

They would like to start Server 1 backing up at 7pm, the issue with this is that during Tue or Wed at 10pm server 2, 3 or 4 will be rebooted during the backup window for patching.

I would prefer not to create 2 seperate jobs, is it possible to put a delay or perfarably a start time for Server 2 to kick off at 11:40pm on the same tape without a new job?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  This is not possible.  You would need to create 2 jobs and put in the desired start time for each job.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  This is not possible.  You would need to create 2 jobs and put in the desired start time for each job.

norbertg
Level 5

Cheers. 

I thought about it a little more and wanted to backup server 1 to server A disk in a seperate job if it wasn't possible to put a delay. That would have allowed server 1 to be backed up as part of job 2 (server A job) without requiring an append job.

Anyway they have decieded to go the append route.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not be backing up a backup set.  This is equivalent to copying a backup set.  See this document

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH176061

So what you are trying to do is wrong.