cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre command failing

Paul_McQuaid
Level 2
I am running backup Exec 10d on a Windows 2003 server. I am trying to backup an Oracle database. The software company has a utility that when run will create an Oracle dump file. They wrote me a batch file the I have set to run as a pre job command. The batch file initiates the Oracle backup utility and creates a .dmp file. I have backup Exec set to backup this .dmp file. When the batch file is run manually it works fine and takes <1min to run. However, the daily the jobs I have scheduled never run and the error message is the pre-comman timed out. I have allowed it 60 mins to run which is way more than it really needs. I do not know why this command is timing out and I was hoping someone could help.
6 REPLIES 6

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

Run the sgmon before running the backup job:

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_McQuaid
Level 2
When SGMon.exe is run I receive the following output. This output seems to occurs whether a job is running or not.

Client 32: FAILED RESULT: 0x800706d9
File G:\nsmsrc\nsm900\icfonfig\icfaction.h
Line: 88

Client 32: FAILED RESULT: 0x800706d9
File G:\nsmsrc\nsm900\icfonfig\icfaction.h
Line: 94

These messages just keep scrolling up the screen alternating back and forth.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does the PreJob run on the media server or on the Oracle server (if they are different)

If you logon to the appropriate server as the BackupExec service account, does the script file still run OK?

Does the script file rely on mapped drives or search paths? (remember that when the Pre job runs, there is only the default environment, no mapped drives or search paths etc.)

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Paul,

Can you please update on the issue ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Paul_McQuaid
Level 2
The media server and the Oracle server are the same machine. The BackupExec job is run as administrator and if I login to the server as administrator and manually initiate the batch file it runs fine. The batch file does not rely on mapped drives. Below is what I have entered in the Pre/Post command field under Job Setup:

c:\PraxisHOTBackup.bat

The batch file is indeed located at the root of c:\

Oddly enough since I first posted this question the job has successfully run twice. Once last night (5/31) and once mid-May.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

As a test, create a new small backup job and add this batch file in pre command and check the results.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.