cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precautions on domain changes

rickywk
Level 2
Hi All!

Any precautions on backup exec configuration (e.g. logon account) when performing domain changes?

I will change current backup server domain to a new domain (aka from domain AAA to domain BBB), what should I do to let the changes run smooth?

Thx everybody!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

If you change the account name/password, you will have to change it on all your other servers, if you have multiple site backup servers. For Remote Agents, no change unless you change the name of your server, or use the FQDN, instead of just the name. If it was backupserver.internal, and it's now backupserver.local for example, your Remote Agents probably won't publish themselves correctly which will cause issues with your backups.
If you're doing cross-domain backups, it's a bit tricky. I managed to get our CASO server to detect another backup server in a child domain by doing the following:

1. On remote server, add an entry for my CASO server into the hosts file.
2. On the CASO server, I did the same as in 1, and then added in that child domain's service account for Backup Exec.
3. On the remote server, I was able to browse the CASO server, and once I could do that, could add it onto the CASO server.

That's about all I can think of.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

If you change the account name/password, you will have to change it on all your other servers, if you have multiple site backup servers. For Remote Agents, no change unless you change the name of your server, or use the FQDN, instead of just the name. If it was backupserver.internal, and it's now backupserver.local for example, your Remote Agents probably won't publish themselves correctly which will cause issues with your backups.
If you're doing cross-domain backups, it's a bit tricky. I managed to get our CASO server to detect another backup server in a child domain by doing the following:

1. On remote server, add an entry for my CASO server into the hosts file.
2. On the CASO server, I did the same as in 1, and then added in that child domain's service account for Backup Exec.
3. On the remote server, I was able to browse the CASO server, and once I could do that, could add it onto the CASO server.

That's about all I can think of.

rickywk
Level 2
Hi!

I just using backup exec to perform single server backup..
Why I asking this question because I changed the machine name last time, after that I cannot login into backup exec (using local admin.). Only solution I able to solve it is reinstall, so I want to better understand the correct instruction if I needs to change the domain name in future..

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You can use BEUTIL to make Domain or Media Server changes

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277063.htm

rickywk
Level 2
Hi!

The correct sequence is change the Windows Domain first and then using BEUTIL to change Backup Exec Domain?