Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem BE 2010 And HP MSL2024 1 LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 Fibre Channel Tape Library

Jes_s_Rojas
Level 3
Partner Accredited

greetings Forum

I have a problem, my BE 2010 R2 is not taking the tapes that are in the HP MSL2024 at full capacity, it shows me only half 800GB tapes are telling me that 390GB, the 1.6 TB of me says they are 850GB and 3TB tells me are 1.5 TB. it could be, everything works fine but does not display the actual storage

thanks

Jesus Rojas
4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are you talking about the fact that on an LTO4 tape BE only shows 800-odd GB? That's the native capacity...not the compressed capacity at 2:1.

Otherwise, if you're only backing up to the native capacity of the tape, check below:

1. Make sure you're using the Symantec drivers for the tape drive.

2. Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 if you can. It fixed a number of issues with the previous 2 versions.

3. Check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH6076

4. Some data doesn't compress once compressed...check the compression settings you're getting on your tapes, and make sure that compression (Hardware, otherwise Software <--that is the setting!) is turned on in your jobs.

Thanks!

Jes_s_Rojas
Level 3
Partner Accredited

thanks for replying CraigV

and I read your answer and it seems reasonable, I do not understand is that the tape is printed capacity and 3TB BE tells me that only 1.5 TB. I will search the symantec driver for the unit, and I'm downloading the BE 2010 R3.

I will check the support TN

Jesus

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

Here are the native and compressed capacities for LTO3, LTO4, and LTO5 tape media

• LTO3: 400 GB / 800 GB
  • LTO4: 800 GB / 1600 GB
  • LTO5: 1500 GB / 3000 GB

Backup Exec reports the native tape capacity (value on the left) of the media and not the compressed capacity (value on the right).  Based on the capacities you've listed I suspect you have LTO3, LTO4, & LTO5 media in your tape library.  Therefore, BE will report native capacities of 400 GB, 800 GB, 1500 GB, respectively.

The compressed capacities values are assumed @ 2:1 ratio and all tape drive/media manufactures will back that claim.  The type of data you are backing up will dictate the hardware compression ratio you'll receive.  Only time will tell what compression ratio this will average out to.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should take a look at my article below to see how to interpret your tape statistics

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tape-statistics-explained

Normally, LTO tapes are marked with their native capacity and a compressed capacity assuming a 2:1 compression ratio. A 2:1 compression ratio is hardly achieved in real life.  Normally, you would get a compression ratio of 1.2 - 1.4.  See my article below on the subject of compression

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation