cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Backing up Exchange Store

Chris_Bromley
Level 2
I recently upgraded from 8.x to 9.1. Using the Exchange agent.

Exchange is 2003 standard. The backup server is Windows 2000. I have installed the latest SP and the latest Exchange Manager to the backup server.

I am able to backup the mailboxes perfectly fine. The information store and public folders fail with an ACCESS DENIED message, and then a "file corrupt" message. "Access Denied to database Mailbox store", "Access Denied to Public Folder Store" and "Access Denied to Log Files". Immediately following each error message, I get "Database or Database Element is corrupt".

Of course, this started happening right after the upgrade.

I have verified that the backup user is not only a domain admin, and a local admin on the exchange box, but also has full exchange administration rights via System manager. I have also tried created a second account which failed to work as well.

Not using SHADOW COPY..

I am hoping this is something simple. Any ideas? I've looked throught the KB without finding anything that has helped yet.

Chris
2 REPLIES 2

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

One of the reasons for the problem could be different versions of ESEBCLI2.dll

To resolve:
1. Perform a search for esebcli2.dll on the Exchange server.
2. You should find two, the first located in windows\system32 and the second in Exchsvr\bin
3. Rename the esebcli2.dll to .old in the windows\system32 directory.
4. Copy the esebcli2.dll from the Exchsvr\bin directory to the windows\system32 directory.
5. Stop and start all the Backup Exec services.

Chris_Bromley
Level 2
That was exactly the problem.

I thank you, my company thanks you, and my head thanks you. It is very tired of being slammed against the wall, then having it's hair pulled out.

Now, I can let the patches of hair grow back, and reduce the swelling with ice.

Life is good again.