cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in exclusion of Backup exec 12.5

hmbabu
Level 3
We are using backup exec 12.5 with NDMP server backup option. Actually we are taking backup include snapshot also but we want to exclude the snapshot folder from the backup hence we can reduce the backup data, time and tapes usage.

We have removed the snapshot folder from edit selection list of the backup job and select the volume - include /exclude - type the .snapshot . After that the include exclude list is showing like below

10.xxx.xx.xxx/folder/*
10.xxx.xx.xxx/folder/.snapshot /EXCLUDE

After modified this settings my tapes are doubled means usually daily incemental job will use 2 tapes but now 4 tapes. Symantec is saying the job excluded the snapshot folder, my concern is wheter the it is written in two time on tape?We are using backup exec 12.5 with NDMP(Netapps Filer) server backup option. Actually we are taking backup include snapshot also but we want to exclude the snapshot folder from the backup hence we can reduce the backup data, time and tapes usage.

We have removed the snapshot folder from edit selection list of the backup job and select the volume - include /exclude - type the .snapshot . After that the include exclude list is showing like below

10.xxx.xx.xxx/folder/*
10.xxx.xx.xxx/folder/.snapshot /EXCLUDE

After modified this settings my tapes are doubled means usually daily incremental job will use 2 tapes but now 4 tapes. Symantec is saying the job excluded the snapshot folder, my concern is whether the it is written in two time on tape?
5 REPLIES 5

Dev_T
Level 6

Exclude the folder X:\Backup Exec AOFO Stores from all the drives....its a hidden folder....

hmbabu
Level 3

Hi Dev,

Thanks for your responce, How can i exclude the Backup Exec AOFO Stores folder. I have attached the screenshot for your reference. Because we are backing up the NDMP servers.

Thanks
Babu

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

With NDMP backups (on a NetApp anyway) Backup Exec actually creates it's own snapshot in the snapshot folder - take a look at the file system in the snapshot folder whilst a backup job is running and you should see it - and as we can only backup one snapshot at a time logic indicates that there is no way we can be backing up the other snapshots whilst we are backing up our own. - hence no need for an exclude.

The BackpP Exec AOFO stores will only be related to volumes mounted locally on a Windows server that use open file technology for backups - so should not apply to a NDMP (NetApp based) volume

hmbabu
Level 3

Hi Colin Weaver,

Thanks for your reply.

Does it mean the folders are written two times in tapes? like first it will write 10.xxx.xx.xxx/folder/* and second it writes one more time without .snapshot 10.xxx.xx.xxx/folder/.snapshot /EXCLUDE. Hence my tapes are increased?

Is there any log files do check how much datas are backing up and history apart from job history.

Thanks
Babu

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The NDMP Process is - we call a NetApp API to request a Snapshot - we then backup just that snapshot but ignore any other snapshots in the snapshots folder. Unless the NetApp snapshot process also snaps the other folders in the snapshots folder (which you would have to confirm with NetApp) we should not be backing up twice.

Do your restore selection show 2 sets of data?