cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in identifying large drive for backup

RaminNodehi
Level 2

Hi

Recently i added a windows 2016 server for backing up by veritas. I had no problem with any other server before. But with this server the problem is that the veritas does not identify one drive of server! It recognize all drives (C,D,F,G) but not E drive, So i can't backup the E drive. Not any problems or any error in eventviewer. After some investigation i found that the size of drive is above 1tb(exactly 1.8tb). The windows disk management shows the drive correctly. So, what is the problem? Is there any limitation in identifying large server drives by veritas? How can i solve the problem?

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@RaminNodehi 

Any chance that E-drive is part of DFS replication? 

If so, the DFS-R data can only be backed up as part of Shadow Copy Components. 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100030141.html

Thanks Maianne,

No, It's not part of DFS. The wiered thing is that when i use other backup softwares such as veeam, i can backup the drive without any problem . As i said before the veritas detects all partitions on server except one partition(Drive E) that is larger than other partitions. The other partitions all are under 1tb. I have a guess: may be it is from the license? am i ture?

Marianne

I'm wondering why you believe that this is a licensing issue... 

What type of data is on this drive letter?
What is the Filesystem type?

And what type of licenses are you using on the BE Server? 
Host/Agent-based licenses or one of the Capacity Editions? 

The data that is on server and on E Drive are usual files(some backup files, some txt files and ....)

The File System of Drive E is NTFS as other drives are.

The license is for now Trial and as i found it is Host/Agent based.

Marianne

The Trial version will allow all features - so, not a licensing issues.

Unfortunately you cannot log a Support call with the trial version.
What you are experiencing is certainly not normal (if you are logged on a Windows Domain Admin) - you really need a 'second pair of eyes' to see what is wrong here.

All I can suggest is that you phone the local Veritas office in your country to put you in contact with a knowledgeable reseller or distributor near you for assistance.