cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem on Backup Exec 2010 (Media Sets)

AndyLi
Level 2

I'm a beginner to use this software. Currently, I just replace a new tape in my HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader for full backup. After that, I try to "Inventory"  8 slots, but in this new tape's slot which becomes "Scratch Media" on "Online Media", I checked with "Help" menu that implying this is a "Blank Tape". The old tape I took out which is located at "Offline Media" right now. So, I try to label the "Scratch Media" with the previous label name and the same time I try to associate it with "Media Set". The question is I check with those "Help" menu in which it mentions "Note: Associating scratch or imported media with a media set is not recommended.
Backup Exec automatically associates scratch or imported media with a media set
when a backup job requires it."  Should I have to associate it or not?

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

When you insert a blank tape in the library Backup Exec associates that tape with the scratch

media set. You should link a media set with a backup job and not with the tapes.

When you run a backup job Backup Exec pulls a tape from the scratch media set and

associates that tape with a media set which is selected in the backup job.

After backup job is completed the media remain in the associated media set and inhertits

the properties(overwrite protect period and append period) of the media set.

Some more information on Media sets http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB

When you insert a blank tape in the library Backup Exec associates that tape with the scratch

media set. You should link a media set with a backup job and not with the tapes.

When you run a backup job Backup Exec pulls a tape from the scratch media set and

associates that tape with a media set which is selected in the backup job.

After backup job is completed the media remain in the associated media set and inhertits

the properties(overwrite protect period and append period) of the media set.

Some more information on Media sets http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459

AndyLi
Level 2

Dear Amol,

Thanks your reply. In fact, I have already scheduled this "Job" weekly to run. Below is the clear picture I capture from Backup Exec 2010 's "Online Media", I only concern is "Can I manually change this "Media Label" name and also associate this "Scratch Media" to the previous media set, Weekly? " Or I leave it there after the schedule job running will autoomaticaly cover it with "Weekly" media set.

regards

Andy

"

AmolB

If you move the scratch media to any other media set it will inherit the properites of the new media

set. So i would suggest you to keep the tape in the scratch media itself BE will place the media in

the new media set once the job is completed. No need to label the media too.

I insert a blank tape - it comes up with Blank media - OK so far - normally when I run a scheduled backup at night, BE2010 will associate the tape with the Media set and erase/format the tape but not on this current Tape Device - it remains as Blank Media and does not backup. - stays in "scanning mode" -