cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem restoring Exchange mails to new server

Graves
Level 2

Hi

I have a problem restoring some Exchange 2003 mails from an old backup.

I have recently upgraded to Exchange 2010 and Backup Exec 2010, and now i try to restore som individual mails from an old backup (Exchange 2003 and Backup Exec 12).

I have created a new exchange user and tries to restore the mails, using redirection to the new server and mailboks.

I have granted the backup exec administrator full access to the Exchange account, this have worked before.

The old mailbox user is not in our AD anymore.

Only calendar apointments is restored, not any mails or folders.

I get the following error when restoring: V-79-57344-765, but the error description from this does not match my problem, Backup exec is fully patched from live update.

Thanks on advance.

Regards

/Graves

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think it is not possible to restore Exchange 2003 data directly into Exchange 2010.

The only option would be to install a temp Exchange 2003 (separated from your production network) and then restore the mailbox/mailbox items. And then use exmerge to create a PST of it, and import it in Exchange 2010.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Graves
Level 2

Thanks for the link :)

Well i did not have the paramter for overwriting emails etc.

But i did not work, i cannot restore anything else than calendar apointments, folders and emails is not restored :(

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Graves,

What happens if you manually stage to disk first before performing the restore?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

Have you selected the option to recreate the mailbox? If not, try that...it just means that in Exchange Administrator you need to associate that mailbox with another user account.

Thanks!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think it is not possible to restore Exchange 2003 data directly into Exchange 2010.

The only option would be to install a temp Exchange 2003 (separated from your production network) and then restore the mailbox/mailbox items. And then use exmerge to create a PST of it, and import it in Exchange 2010.

Graves
Level 2

Hi ZeRoCOOL

Think you are right, cannot get it to restore.

Well will try an exchange 2003 one day when i get the time...

Thanks for all your answers.

Mike_v1
Level 0

Hi All,

Could you say, this is correct only for GRT restores or also affect all backups done via Microsoft Information Store?

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

This goes for any Exchange Restore, not just GRT restores