cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem upgrading BEC 11d to 12.5, SQL is not compatible error

kha
Level 4

I am trying to upgrade Backup Exec 11d to 12.5.  Windows 2003 SP2, SQL 2005 Express (9.000.3042.00 SP2)

When I run the browser.exe of 12.5, passing the Environment check with couple warnings, then I got this error that stops me from moving forward.

"The current version of Backup Exec is using an instance of SQL that is not compatible with Backup Exec 12.5.

Please upgrade this version of SQL to a minimum of SQL Server 2000 Pack 3a or later.

If the computer is running Windows Server 2008, you must upgrade to SQL server 20005 Service Pack 2 or SQL server 2008"

I ran this query on my SSMSE to make sure my SQL version is compatible:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

Here is what i got as the result:

9.00.3042.00 SP2 Express Edition

My Add & Remove Program shows that I have these Microsoft SQL ... installed:

1. Microsoft SQL server 2005
  2. Microsoft SQL Server management Studio Express
  3. Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
  4. Microsoft SQL server Setup Support Files
  5. Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

No more "Microsoft SQL ..."

Don't know why it complains that my SQL is not compatible.  From here (page 20) it lists that the SQL 2005 Express on the compatibility list. 

Anyone has a clue why I got this error? Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Please check if it helps

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-125-installation

kha
Level 4

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58818&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1291242130276

Resolution #2 is what I've checked and my Backup Exec service account is already set to default database = master

kha
Level 4

Thanks, sazz for the link

My backup exec service account in SQL is already set to default db = master, nothing else for me to change here.  What else should I check :(

kha
Level 4

The problem is that my Backup Exec services couldn't start, specifically the service "Backup Exec Device & Media Service" failed to start because it picked up the old server name.  We renamed the server and in the registry, the old server name still there.  So, I went ahead and search for old server name, replace them with new server name.

Finally, as long as I can get all the "Backup Exec" services to start sucessfully, then I don't get that error anymore.  I am going thru and reaching the License Keys screen on the menu.  Thanks god! The error message is really misleading!!wink

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When the media server name or domain changes, you should use BEUTIL to make all the registry changes needed to make BackupExec run with the new config

kha
Level 4

Thanks, Ken. yes

I am seeing 2 media server names shown up on the BEU, one is the old name, the other one is new server name.  Which one should I click on to update the configuration? Should I do "update configuration..." or "edit configuration"?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Hmm

See http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38988

I'd say do an edit to remove the "new" name and Update to change the old to the new (it has been quite a while since I've actually had to use BEUTIL)

A backup before you make any changes would probably be a good idea (BEDB.BAK)